    Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?

    Thanks.
    PatrixUSA

    Guest, Sep 6, 2006

    Rock Guest

    PatrixUSA wrote:

    > How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
    > I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
    > program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
    > Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > PatrixUSA

    Item's unchecked in msconfig are located here in the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services

    You can manually delete the entry that references the program using
    regedit or run a tweak from Kelly's site at
    Line 148: Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup

    Read the info at the top of the page before running the edit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock, Sep 6, 2006

    Actually I deleted the reg key referenced by the entry in Sys Config Utility
    and now it’s not there so I think I got it. No keys appear in your entries,
    probably because there are now no unchecked entries as I am now starting the
    system normally.

    I uninstalled a program called InstallShield that was constantly pestering
    me to update various programs even though no programs were marked to update.
    I think this is only an OEM installed program and not system critical.
    Please advise is this is something critical.

    Thanks Rock.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2006

    Rock Guest

    PatrixUSA wrote:

    > Actually I deleted the reg key referenced by the entry in Sys Config Utility
    > and now it’s not there so I think I got it. No keys appear in your entries,
    > probably because there are now no unchecked entries as I am now starting the
    > system normally.
    >
    > I uninstalled a program called InstallShield that was constantly pestering
    > me to update various programs even though no programs were marked to update.
    > I think this is only an OEM installed program and not system critical.
    > Please advise is this is something critical.
    >
    > Thanks Rock.

    Yes some programs use that as a auto updater. It gets set in the start
    up and goes out to see if there are any updates for that program. It's
    fine to take it out.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Rock, Sep 6, 2006
  5. PatrixUSA wrote:
    > How can I remove a starup entry from within the System Configuration Utility?
    > I’ve removed a program that was previously set to launch at startup. The
    > program has been removed yet still appears under the startup tab in System
    > Config Untility, is there a way to remove this entry?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > PatrixUSA

    Msconfig was designed to be a troubleshooting tool, not a "startup
    configurer." Use MSConfig to determine the location of the command that
    is attempting to start the program, and remove it. To cease the
    selective startup notifications, either return your settings to the way
    they were, or permanently remove the undesirable programs from your
    startup configuration.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
    Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start
    Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the system registry, primarily in
    the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: