Remove DRM? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! I know that removing DRM is illegal. But some software claim to convert protected files to
unprotected. I'm thinking about ... Is it legal?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
I am pretty sure those types of program are legal, as long as you are not breaking the contract you have with the company you bought the file off of.

As to the program, there are better and free ones out there
fairusue4wm being the fastest one and free

If a mod thinks anything in my post may not be allowed please feel free to edit it.

___
chelseafc2005

Reaction score
You could be breaking the law depending which country you are in by doing so if you dont own the copyright!
And this sought of action is something we condone on this site!!

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
kwantt said:
Hello! I know that removing DRM is illegal.

You answered your own question.

Any reason you have for wanting to remove the DRM would be breaking copyright law too, e.g. burning to CD, copying to mp3 player, anything that involves copying... And if you don't need to copy the file, you don't need to remove the DRM.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
after reading this thread again, I think i misread the question

If it is on the software being legal or not, then I think it is. The software probably says somewhere that it shouldnt be used on files that you do not have copyright to etc...

But the software has capabilities to do illegal things, in removing drm from files that you do not have permission for.

so:
I think the software is technically legal
but
what most people will use it for wont be legal

___
chelseafc2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question