    to remove the service wuauserv ?

    Thanks in advance-

    Bill

    William Hymen, Mar 7, 2004

  2. William Hymen wrote:

    > I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
    > from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
    > to remove the service wuauserv ?

    Hi

    Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
    on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
    Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.

    --
    torgeir
    Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP), Mar 7, 2004

  3. "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > William Hymen wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
    > > from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
    > > to remove the service wuauserv ?

    > Hi
    >
    > Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
    > on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
    > Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.

    Yes. That is what I decided to do.
    For some reason, I overlooked the obvious !

    Thanks.

    William Hymen, Mar 8, 2004
  4. "William Hymen" <> wrote in message

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > > William Hymen wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would like to remove "Stay Current With Automatic Updates"
    > > > from my users trays. How can I do this? Do I also need
    > > > to remove the service wuauserv ?

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Removing the wuauserv service is maybe a bit strong, what if you later
    > > on want to start to use MS SUS (your own internal Automatic Windows
    > > Update server). I suggest you only disable the service.

    > Yes. That is what I decided to do.
    > For some reason, I overlooked the obvious !

    The long way around:

    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates
    Uncheck "Keep my computer up to date"

    I wouldn't want to do this for 1000 workstations, but it works fine for one,
    specifically my database server that chokes on SP4 :)

    Mike Brown - Process Manager, Mar 9, 2004