Removable HD letter assignment

Reaction score
Ive got a ASUS M2400N laptop running XP 5.1.2600 (SP2). The thing's only got 2 USB ports, so I've put on an el cheapo 4 port unpowered USB hub.

I run a few removable hard drives, two real hard drives and a few pretend ones (flash drive, digital camera, mp3 player). One of the hard drives, a 120 gig which holds all my mp3s, usually appears as "E" and my mp3 library expects to find the mp3s there.

My trouble is, sometimes when I plug another drive in first, the first drive can hog "E", leaving "F" for the 120 gig drive. I've worked out how to manually reassign a drive letter via "Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management - Change Drive Letters and Paths ... ", which sorts the problem.

Question is: is there any way to PERMANENTLY assign a drive letter to a particular removable drive so, despite swapping it and other drives backwards and forwards, it will ALWAYS appear as "E", come hell or high water?

cheeries, Peter

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Not really permanent assignment of a drive letter, but a good workaround. XP is full of suprises.

Ask a Question