Remote Install of Windows 2000

G

Ok, here's the scenario. On a Windows 2000 Pro computer, I copied the Windows 2000 CD to a folder called "win2000dist" and integrated Service Pack 4 into this directory. I then shared the folder. Now, I use a network boot floppy to boot the computer that I want to install Windows 2000 on and map the shared folder to a drive letter. After this, I use a batch file to initiate setup with winnt.sif and also tell it to copy the install files to a temporary folder on the local hard drive. Here's where the trouble begins. After the files copy and the computer reboots, setup "loses" winnt.sif, unless I keep a floppy in the drive with this file on it. My understanding was that I could start setup in this manner, remove the floppy, and leave, returning to a finished workstation. I've tried copying winnt.sif to the temporary directory, but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

G

I figured out the problem. I was getting confused about the winnt.exe switches. In particular, I had misunderstood the /t switch.

Ask a Question