Remote Desktop from one PC but not another but can with IP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Work Remotely' started by S.C, Jul 29, 2007.

  1. S.C

    S.C Guest

    I have a small intranet of 6 pc's.

    I just added the sixth PC and got it up and running and connected to the
    network fine.

    I tried to connect using remote desktop by using the PC name
    ("XPcomputer_6") from PC 5 ("XPcomputer_5") it would not work. I tried to
    connect using the ip (192.168.2.55) and it connected. After about 24hrs I
    tried again by using the name("XPcomputer_6") and it connected.

    I then tried to connect from another pc ("2Kcomputer_4") would not connect
    by name but would by IP. So I figured I would wait a day and see if the name
    would work. It did not, it has been 4 days, I can connect by IP but by name
    it will not.

    All PC's are running XP Pro except PC4 which is running Win2k Pro. The
    win2kPro can connect to all other PCs by name using remote desktop.

    How do I resolve the name connection?

    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

    Steve

    S.C, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Sounds like name resolution issue. I would check the DNS settings first. This link may help,

    Can’t access one of workstations using RWW or RDC
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=1113

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Jul 29, 2007

  3. S.C

    Guest Guest

    I've just had the same problem. I've been successfully using Remote Desktop
    on my home LAN for over a year, using the computer name to initiate the
    connection; it worked up until last week. This weekend when I tried, it
    would not connect at all. I even changed the name on the host PC from
    "children" to "kids" and although I could still access files through
    Explorer, Remote Desktop would not connect. Rather by accident, I then tried
    using the host's IP address and, bingo, it works. I tried going back to the
    computer name and no joy. I wonder if Microsoft have changed something in
    one of their updates recently that is upsetting this application. Any
    thoughts?
    David

    Guest, Jul 29, 2007
  4. Do a simple test. In the remote computer, ping itself using the hostname. Can you do it?

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Jul 30, 2007
  5. S.C

    Guest Guest

    Bob,
    If I understand you correctly, you've suggested pinging the host PC from the
    remote PC using the hostname (in my case "kids", on the domain "home"). I've
    tried this and got the following reponse:

    "Pinging kids.home [195.238.237.142] with 32 bytes of data

    Request timed out (displayed 4 times)

    Ping statistics for 195.238.237.142:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)"

    I then pinged again using the IP number (192.168.1.2) and got a 100% success.
    However, I now can't get Remote Desktop workign even when I use the IP
    number. I can still access files on the other PC using Windows Explorer!
    WHatever the problem is, it seems to be getting worse!

    Is this what you were expecting and any suggestion on how to get my hostname
    recognised by Remote Desktop again?
    Thanks in anticipation

    Guest, Aug 3, 2007