Windows XP Remote Desktop Connection...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have finally set up a workgroup,

But i want to use the remote desktop connection, so i open it, and where it says computer name: i hit browse for more, it comes up with chose computer: so i click on the workgroup i have set up to chose one of the computers connected.

The i recieve an error message 'This workgroup does not contain any terminal servers'

I don't want to connect to a terminal server

Any suggestions?

KGB

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Remote desktop connection is designed to allow you to conect to a Remote computer via the internet ... Example

You know, you could save yourself a lot of time by RTFM. :eek:

go to Start/Help and Support and type in your question. ;)

Reaction score
It mensions nothing to do with the internet on my computer, it will only give you the option of the network, Romote assistance works fine.

I am using XP Home, that web page was going on about XP Pro.

Reaction score
RDC generally will only work with a terminal server. it is designed to connect remotely to a computer on a wan or lan. for more info try here or here.

you need to understand what your doing before doing it. don't setup a corporate network before you can type!

if you want to remotely control another pc on your network consider trying a little free app called tight vnc which can be downloaded from http://www.tightvnc.com, it's not as good as laplink or pcanywhere but for free it's excellent (and easy to use).

J

Reaction score
Actually.. that information is slightly wrong thats being given here ... sorry guys..

Remote Desktop protocol is based on the terminal services server/client model.

With the release of Windows XP & server 2003.. it was integrated as "remote desktop".

The reason your machine cannot connect is because remote desktop incoming connections are disabled under XP home.

You can only connect to XP professional, server 2003 or 2000 server (with terminal services administrative mode enabled).

Both versions of XP have the remote desktop client built in that allows you to browse and connect to another machine but ONLY XP professional/server 2003/server 2000 has the server that allows incoming connections...

You can even download the remote desktop client for Win98 & Win2K from the Microsoft site.

Don't confuse remote desktop with remote assistance. They are two different access models.

Use VNC as suggested :)

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't confuse remote desktop with remote assistance. They are two different access models.
:thumb:

(Ian, you really should allow a little less than 10)

Reaction score
what i said was technically correct although not as clear as your explanation.

as you said xp pro contains the terminal server facility as i said you need a terminal server.

;)

Reaction score
OK, thatks guys!

Ill just use remote asssistance,

Funny story: I was trying to share files on one of my other coputers today and got really annoyed when it would work on 1 PC and not on the other, untill i realised i haddn't plugged the USB thing in!

Ask a Question