Reminder - Users Respond to the Eradication of Community

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Jon, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    What is Happening?

    Microsoft is responding to a nebulous 'Evolution of Community' concept, and
    rejecting the voice of its customers.

    As the earth was destroyed in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" to make
    way for a new 'hyperspace bypass', so newsgroups will be obliterated to make
    way for the newer 'forums'.

    Why?

    Who knows? It's part of 'a bigger agenda' to which us common little people
    are not privy. Our role is simply to lap up the propaganda in favour of the
    forums and keep quiet like good little users.

    Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?

    This one, among others.

    When will this Happen?

    "Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed." (in case you
    missed it in the last posting).

    Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?

    Anywhere but the tightly controlled, highly censored forums. Somewhere out
    in the countryside, far away from the towns, would be a good place to start
    a new underground computing community.

    Who Should I Contact with any Questions?

    Real question are probably best posted here or elsewhere on Usenet, rather
    than sent to an unmonitored email address, as some might suggest.

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Sep 3, 2010

  2. Jon

    housetrained Guest

    I started alt.windows7.general way back and it seems OK. Maybe I'll start an
    alt.vista.general and see what happens
    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><
    "The mind is like a parachute,
    it works best when it is open." - Frank Zappa

    housetrained, Sep 3, 2010

  3. Jon

    Jon Guest

    "housetrained" <> wrote in message

    >I started alt.windows7.general way back and it seems OK. Maybe I'll start
    >an alt.vista.general and see what happens
    > --
    > John the West Ham fan
    >

    > <><
    > "The mind is like a parachute,
    > it works best when it is open." - Frank Zappa

    Well done sir. You deserve a medal. Great signature quote btw.

    --
    Jon

    Jon, Sep 3, 2010
  4. "James" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...
    > On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:29:00 +0100, "Jon"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>What is Happening?
    >>
    >>Microsoft is responding to a nebulous 'Evolution of Community' concept,
    >>and
    >>rejecting the voice of its customers.
    >>
    >>As the earth was destroyed in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" to
    >>make
    >>way for a new 'hyperspace bypass', so newsgroups will be obliterated to
    >>make
    >>way for the newer 'forums'.
    >>

    >>Why?
    >>
    >>Who knows? It's part of 'a bigger agenda' to which us common little people
    >>are not privy. Our role is simply to lap up the propaganda in favour of
    >>the
    >>forums and keep quiet like good little users.
    >>

    >>Which Newsgroups Are Affected by this Shutdown?
    >>
    >>This one, among others.
    >>

    >>When will this Happen?
    >>
    >>"Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup will be closed." (in case
    >>you
    >>missed it in the last posting).
    >>

    >>Where Should I go with the Closure of this Newsgroup?
    >>
    >>Anywhere but the tightly controlled, highly censored forums. Somewhere out
    >>in the countryside, far away from the towns, would be a good place to
    >>start
    >>a new underground computing community.
    >>

    >>Who Should I Contact with any Questions?
    >>
    >>Real question are probably best posted here or elsewhere on Usenet, rather
    >>than sent to an unmonitored email address, as some might suggest.

    > At the risk of asking the obviously stupid question: How can
    > Microsoft shut down a Usenet group? Do the own it? I guess I was
    > always under the (naive) impression that no one "owns" the internet,
    > and specifically, newsgroups.

    Microsoft can't shut down a group by itself, but as a lot of us read/comment
    on MS's server (news.microsoft.com), they can shut that down..

    --
    Thomas Wendell
    Helsinki, Finland

    Thomas Wendell, Sep 4, 2010
  5. Jon

    Tim Slattery Guest

    James <> wrote:

    >At the risk of asking the obviously stupid question: How can
    >Microsoft shut down a Usenet group? Do the own it? I guess I was
    >always under the (naive) impression that no one "owns" the internet,
    >and specifically, newsgroups.

    They can't. They can turn off their server, but the group will
    continue to exist on other Usenet servers.

    --
    Tim Slattery

    http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

    Tim Slattery, Sep 7, 2010