Relay error on send, however "Test Email Settings ..." works

G

I am using outlook 2002. I am trying to use a SINGLE smtp server on IIS that requires authentication because I am frequently moving between networks and broadband connections at work, home and a couple of our remote offices

I believe security is setup correctly on the IIS smtp server and my outgoing mail and password settings are correct. When I do the "Test Account Settings ..." check it sends the test email just mail fine. However, when I send a regular mail, I receive a "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)"

Any ideas on why the test might work and the other send doesn't? I have tried sending to numerous email addresses at different domains and it still doesn't work

G

Please disregard. The SMTP server authentication was setup incorrectly. However, the Outlook test email settings still worked even though the settings were incorrect.

J

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

That's because the test mail wasn't being *relayed* - it was being delivered
directly. Relaying applies to messages being sent to a server other than
your home server.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Andy said:
Please disregard. The SMTP server authentication was setup incorrectly.
However, the Outlook test email settings still worked even though the
settings were incorrect.

Ask a Question