Relative heirachy of ati's video cards

pjp

So many models with so many "SE/Pro etc." it's confusing trying to figure
out where each card "fits" regarding performance and feature set.

I'm hoping someone can point me at a list, e.g. (made up, just guessing to
illustrate)

1) 9800 Pro
2) 9800 XT
3) 9600 Pro
4) 9800 SE

I'm not even sure what's their "first" card with the "shading engine" (8500?
or is it not until 9000 series?). I do believe the 7200 is the first with
the T&L engine, as I have one and it's treated me well. I've also noticed a
friend of mine running NFS-U gets headlights and "some visual nitro effects"
etc. that are dimmed out on my own pc's settings.

Reason I'm asking is that I starting to shop for a "new" pc and money is an
issue I have no interest in any video/tv-in features as having the 7200 has
taught me that's better served using a separate card if for no other reason
than the headache it adds to the display driver updates.

Julian Richards

So many models with so many "SE/Pro etc." it's confusing trying to figure
out where each card "fits" regarding performance and feature set.

I'm hoping someone can point me at a list, e.g. (made up, just guessing to
illustrate)

1) 9800 Pro
2) 9800 XT
3) 9600 Pro
4) 9800 SE

XT above Pro
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Conor

So many models with so many "SE/Pro etc." it's confusing trying to figure
out where each card "fits" regarding performance and feature set.

I'm hoping someone can point me at a list, e.g. (made up, just guessing to
illustrate)

1) 9800 Pro
2) 9800 XT
3) 9600 Pro
4) 9800 SE
[/QUOTE]
1) 9800 Pro
2) 9600 XT
3) 9800SE
4) 9600 Pro.

The 9800SE and 9600 Pro are pretty much neck and neck regarding
performance but the 9800SE can sometimes be softmodded to a 9800Pro plus
IMO it runs cooler and can be overclocked better than a 9600 Pro.

Alain DEMOY

De: "Lachoneus" <[email protected]>
Objet: Re: 9500 Pro vs 9600 Pro
Date: lundi 15 novembre 2004 20:34
How come the 9500 has better performances in almost every benchmark than the
9600? I've checked in tomshardware and the 9500 Pro was, in some of the
tests, faster than the 9600XT! Is this normal?

Yeah, that's normal.

ATI's numeric ratings don't correspond well to speed (or even DX level).

A rough ordering by speed from slower to faster would go something like
this (additions/corrections welcome)...

7000/Radeon VE/IGP 3x0M (DX7)
9200SE (DX8)
7200/Original Radeon (DX7)
7500/Original Radeon DDR (DX7)
9000 (DX8)
9200 (DX8)
9550 (DX9)
9600SE (DX9)
9100 (DX8)
8500LE (DX8)
8500 (DX8)
9600 (DX9)
9500 (DX9)
9600 Pro (DX9)
9600 XT (DX9)
9500 Pro (DX9)
9800SE (DX9)
9700 (DX9)
9700 Pro (DX9)
9800 (DX9)
9800 Pro (DX9)
9800 XT (DX9)
X800 (DX9)
X800 Pro (DX9)
X800 XT (DX9)

Tweek

A rough ordering by speed from slower to faster would go something like
this (additions/corrections welcome)...

7000/Radeon VE/IGP 3x0M (DX7)
9200SE (DX8)
7200/Original Radeon (DX7)
7500/Original Radeon DDR (DX7)
9000 (DX8)
9200 (DX8)
9550 (DX9)
9600SE (DX9)
9100 (DX8)
8500LE (DX8)
8500 (DX8)

I think the 9200 is faster than the 8500, as it's basically a tweaked up
8500.

Gonzo

Tweek said:
I think the 9200 is faster than the 8500, as it's basically a tweaked up
8500.

No it's not. A 9200 is a very castrated 8500.
I own both and my 8500 stomps my 9200.
A 9200 is actually an 8500 LELE (That's Low end twice, i.e. slower even
than an 8500LE)
Alain had it right on the money.

Nvidia's nameing scheme is just as fubar. It's basically the Corporate guys
counting on people to be ignorant and then taking advantage of that
ignorance.

If you can find an 8500 for cheap let me know as it is a diamond in a coal
mine.

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
No it's not. A 9200 is a very castrated 8500.
I own both and my 8500 stomps my 9200.
A 9200 is actually an 8500 LELE (That's Low end twice, i.e. slower even
than an 8500LE)
Alain had it right on the money.

Nvidia's nameing scheme is just as fubar. It's basically the Corporate
guys counting on people to be ignorant and then taking advantage of that
ignorance.

If you can find an 8500 for cheap let me know as it is a diamond in a coal
mine.

Woops, I meant the 9500 is a diamond not the 8500. 9500 cards are very rare
and since the scoop is out about them they command a heavy price for even
older used cards.

Alain DEMOY

Woops, I meant the 9500 is a diamond not the 8500. 9500 cards are very rare
and since the scoop is out about them they command a heavy price for even
older used cards.

Hi,

I had a 8500 for a few years and it's down at this time (bios problem) and
I was very pleased with it. My son has a 9200SE and it is not better than
my 8500. At this time, I have a 9500 (used card), I tweaked it with Softmod
( http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/installation.php ) and it's like a 9500
Pro now, everything works fine.

That was just my two words...

See you.