Reinstalling Vista

Caroline \(shadoe\)

I have been unable to solve several issues with my Vista. #1 blue screen
that I am unable to read ... something about crash dump and receiving script
errors in IE7 that will not cease. So I've deceided to reinstall Vista
before upgrading to Ultimate. Also, should I install SP1????
Where do I begin please. ? TIA

Caroline

R. C. White

Hi, Caroline.
So I've deceided to reinstall Vista before upgrading to Ultimate.

That does not compute! Why not just install Vista Ultimate in the first
place? And, yes, of course you should let Windows Update install SP1 -
after any pre-requisite fixes, of course.

But you haven't told us enough about your system to give me confidence in
what I just told you.
#1 blue screen that I am unable to read ... something about crash dump

What does the BSOD say? Verbatim! If it flashes and restarts too quickly
for you to read it, then set your System Properties | Advanced | Startup and
Recovery to NOT Automatically restart by UNchecking the box under System
failure. Then you'll have all the time you need to read the BSOD before you
push the computer's Restart button.
Where do I begin please. ?

Begin by telling us at least a little bit about your computer. We can't see
it, so we don't know if it is a Dell or HP or a homebuilt rig. We don't
even know if it is 32-bit or 64-bit. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Caroline \(shadoe\)

Of course RC, you are so very right. I will do as you say re: BSOD,
meanwhile I will give you the following:
Toshiba Satellite laptop 32 bit, Vista Home Prem.

Of course ideally I should use Ultimate when reinstalling, I wasn't sure
how to do that either. Doesn't the system have to know that I have a
previous version of Vista before it will install upgrade?

When I get the "blue screen", it reboots automatically which prevented me
from readimg the whole screen, I will remedy that as you suggested. I have
an appointment shortly so I will post the results of the BSOD when I return.

Caroline

Caroline \(shadoe\)

Addendum: Installed version of Vista is OEM but Ultimate version is full
retail upgrade...

R. C. White

Hi, Caroline.

Wow! STOP CODE 0x00000101? I've not seen that one before, and my favorite
website for such information (http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm) does not list it.
Even Microsoft Help and Support
(http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID=1033&query=stop+0x00000101&mode=r)
does not find that one. Are you SURE?

But I'm an accountant, not a techie, so we'll need a real guru to interpret
that for us. I can't read a crash dump, but that usually is not necessary,
once we have the BSOD info.
Addendum: Installed version of Vista is OEM but Ultimate version is full
retail upgrade...

You will need to do a clean install, not an upgrade. Not because you are
going from OEM to retail, or even because you are going from Home Premium to
Ultimate. It's because there is NO upgrade path from ANY 32-bit to ANY
64-bit - or vice versa.

In other words, you will need to have backups of all your data, plus
installation media for all your applications. Then install Vista Ultimate
x64 on a newly-formatted volume; then reinstall your apps; and then restore
your data files.

For the actual Vista installation with your retail upgrade DVD, you have two
choices:
1. Boot into Vista HP and run Vista's Setup from that desktop. Setup
will see HP's drive letter assignments and use those; later, you can use
Disk Management to change any drive letters except for the boot volume and
the system volume.

2. Boot from the Vista Ultimate DVD and run Setup from there. Setup will
have no idea what letters HP has assigned, so it will start from scratch,
assigning C: to whichever volume you choose to install Ultimate, and D: to
the system volume (if different from the boot volume).

Unlike WinXP, Vista is not satisfied with just seeing a qualifying CD/DVD to
prove that you are entitled to Upgrade pricing. It insists on seeing an
installation of a qualifying product already running on your computer. Once
it sees your existing Vista, the upgrade package will do a full install,
including formatting the target partition if you choose.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail 2008 0908 in Win7 x64 6801)

John Barnes

If you have several problems and want to reinstall, what is the status of
your system. Do you have a restore disk (or partition) from the OEM, or a
Vista install DVD? If you have a Vista install DVD, set your BIOS to boot
from the DVD first, then do an install. When you get to the point where it
asks where you want to install, select Advanced, delete the current
partition, create a new one and reformat, then install. Make sure you save
off anything you want to save, any data files etc.
If you want to play a little with your BSOD, I would start by going into the
tools, options, advanced section of IE and turn off all scripting options so
none will be reported. If that stops your problem, you might want to try
installing the beta of IE8 which is readily available on the Microsoft site.
Good luck.

Caroline

I googled Stop: 0x00000101 and found only ref. to 64 bit and gaming.
Didn't help a bit.
Thanks anyway RC you gave a lot of your time to help me and I appreciate
it. ;-)
Caroline

Caroline

Hi John...
I have original OEM vista home prem disk and a retail version of ultimate
upgrade. I will take your advise and if I see something I don't understand
or feel sure of I will try to undo until I am sure.
TNKS,
Caroline