    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 25, 2004

  2. You should be able to use a custom setup dll (native code) and Install_Init,
    one of the parameters indicates if the package is previously installed. You
    should then be able to uninstall the package before allowing setup to
    continue.

    Peter

    --
    Peter Foot
    Windows Embedded MVP

    Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
    Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
    https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroups

    Peter Foot [MVP], Aug 25, 2004

  3. Peter Foot [MVP] <> wrote:
    > You should be able to use a custom setup dll (native code) and Install_Init,
    > one of the parameters indicates if the package is previously installed. You
    > should then be able to uninstall the package before allowing setup to
    > continue.

    Hmm. Not quite what I was after - I was hoping I'd be able to get it to
    effectively force a "Yes" for that dialog box. The two have different
    effects - uninstalling the previous version does whatever clean-up it's
    interested in, etc. I was hoping to allow for "no uninstall required"
    and "uninstall required" scenarios, where I'd automatically run
    unload.exe in the latter case. As it is, I'll probably end up with a
    registry key which means "Really do extra uninstall stuff?" which is
    set to "No" when the uninstall is just part of an upgrade. Horribly
    hacky, but it should work...

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 25, 2004
  4. Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What you
    can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company YourApplicationName\Instl] to
    0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it wouldn't
    matter.

    --
    Alex Feinman
    ---

    Alex Feinman [MVP], Aug 25, 2004
  5. Alex Feinman [MVP] <> wrote:
    > Ok, /noui which I've been suggesting to try, does not work indeed. What you
    > can do (slightly hacky, but seems to work) is to set
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\Your Company YourApplicationName\Instl] to
    > 0 and then invoke wceload. Since you are reinstalling anyway, it wouldn't
    > matter.

    Ooh, nice and horrible. I'll brood over that one while I'm on holiday
    :)

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet [C# MVP], Aug 25, 2004
  6. Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    Guest Guest

    I did not understand the "Your Company YourApplicationName" part of the
    setting.

    Could you please explain more on this?

    Thanks
    Suhas

    Guest, Nov 5, 2004
  7. This is the string which your installed application is registered under in
    the Remove Programs dialog, and is based on the CompanyName and
    ApplicationName that were built into your CAB file via settings in the .inf
    file used to build it. If you are unsure what this is for your app then look
    at the device registry and all entries in the Apps key.

    Peter

    Peter Foot [MVP], Nov 5, 2004
  8. Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    Guest Guest

    Is this true for any CAB file installed OR just with .NET applications?

    I am trying to install ringtones,wallpaper etc via .CAB files. I do not see
    these registry entries created at all.

    Thanks
    Suhas

    Guest, Nov 5, 2004
  9. If I remember correctly there is a switch often used with ringtones etc
    which doesn't write data for remove programs think the switch is /noremove
    when you build a cab. Do the cab files show up in Remove Programs? that
    applet enumerates these registry keys to list installed apps.
    Also what device are you working on, there may be some differences here
    between Pocket PC and Smartphone.

    Peter

    Peter Foot [MVP], Nov 5, 2004
  10. Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    Guest Guest

    Peter,

    I am working on Smartphone 2003. Infact i am looking for a silet mode of
    wceload and non of the switches mentioned in this forum work on Smartphone.
    This particular question about the registry will help me to suppress the
    confirmation for overwritting the already installed
    application(ringtone/wallpaper etc) atleast. But it seems that i cannot
    suppress other message boxes during the installation.

    So far no luck with this.

    Thanks in advance.
    Suhas

    Guest, Nov 5, 2004
  11. Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

    Guest Guest

    Peter,

    Yes the ringtone and wallpaper are displayed in the remove programs.

    Suhas

    Guest, Nov 5, 2004