Reinstall SP2?????

MM

I installed SP2 several months ago (Aug 2004) and since have kept up to
date with all the various updates and patches.

Lately I have had several problems and would like to know if you can
re-apply SP2.

1. Can it be re-applied over all the various patches/hotfixes?
2. Will Windows Update be smart enough to know that the patches
after SP2 have been overwritten (or do they?)
3. Also can SP2 be uninstalled after these additional patches have
been downloaded/installed? What are the problems that might
happen after uninstall? Will software installed after SP2 need
re-installed?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting here!

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have applied the SP2
and updated with all the various updates and patches on your Windows XP
machine. You have some concerns if you can re-apply SP2 on this machine. If
I misunderstand your concern, please let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to explain as below:

1. Yes, if you re-apply the SP2, the patches/hotfixes that released after
the SP2 need to be re-applied.

2. After these additional patches have been downloaded/installed, you can
uninstall the SP2. After you uninstall the SP2, the version of some system
files may be restore to earlier version.
For more information about how to remove SP2, please refer to the following
article:
875350: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/en-us

3. Regarding the question "Will software installed after SP2 need
re-installed?", I think some software may be need to reinstalled.

If you have any further questions, we also recommend Microsoft Advisory
Services, a remotely-delivered, consultative support option that adds the
element of proactive support, providing a comprehensive result beyond your
break-fix product maintenance needs. More information on this service here:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice

I hope this information is helpful in getting started and we invite you to
post again with any specific break/fix issues.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
| ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=----

MM

Thanks for the reply.

One other question, If SP2 is uninstalled or re-applied, will Windows
Update web site detect this and list all the relevant patches that have
been downloaded once before?

- Mike

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

As far as I know, the Windows Update web site will re-scan and re-detect
the current updates installed in your current system.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Ken Zhao
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

| Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:34:05 -0400
| From: MM <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????
|
| Thanks for the reply.
|
| One other question, If SP2 is uninstalled or re-applied, will Windows
| Update web site detect this and list all the relevant patches that have
| been downloaded once before?
|
| - Mike
|
| Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi Mike,
| >
| > Thank you for posting here!
| >
| > From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have applied the
SP2
| > and updated with all the various updates and patches on your Windows XP
| > machine. You have some concerns if you can re-apply SP2 on this
machine. If
| > I misunderstand your concern, please let me know.
| >
| > Based on my research, I would like to explain as below:
| >
| > 1. Yes, if you re-apply the SP2, the patches/hotfixes that released
after
| > the SP2 need to be re-applied.
| >
| > 2. After these additional patches have been downloaded/installed, you
can
| > uninstall the SP2. After you uninstall the SP2, the version of some
system
| > files may be restore to earlier version.
| > For more information about how to remove SP2, please refer to the
following
| > article:
| > 875350: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/en-us
| >
| > 3. Regarding the question "Will software installed after SP2 need
| > re-installed?", I think some software may be need to reinstalled.
| >
| > If you have any further questions, we also recommend Microsoft Advisory
| > Services, a remotely-delivered, consultative support option that adds
the
| > element of proactive support, providing a comprehensive result beyond
your
| > break-fix product maintenance needs. More information on this service
here:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice
| >
| > I hope this information is helpful in getting started and we invite you
| > post again with any specific break/fix issues.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:12:05 -0400
| > | From: MM <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > | Subject: Reinstall SP2?????

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.g

iganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.spamkiller.net!spool9-west!not-for-ma
| > il
| > | date with all the various updates and patches.
| > |
| > | Lately I have had several problems and would like to know if you can
| > | re-apply SP2.
| > |
| > | 1. Can it be re-applied over all the various patches/hotfixes?
| > | 2. Will Windows Update be smart enough to know that the patches
| > | after SP2 have been overwritten (or do they?)
| > | 3. Also can SP2 be uninstalled after these additional patches have
| > | been downloaded/installed? What are the problems that might
| > | happen after uninstall? Will software installed after SP2 need
| > | re-installed?
| > |
| > | Thanks in advance,
| > |
| > | Mike
| > |
| > | ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
| > News==----
| > | http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+
| > Newsgroups
| > | ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
| > =----
| > |

News==----
| http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
Newsgroups
| ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
=----

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

I want to know if you need some further assistance for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Ken Zhao [MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:43:04 GMT
| Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi Mike,
|
| As far as I know, the Windows Update web site will re-scan and re-detect
| the current updates installed in your current system.
|
| Have a nice day!
|
| Best regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
| Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
| support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
| situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
all
| Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
|
| This and other support options are available here:
| BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
|
| If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:34:05 -0400
| | From: MM <[email protected]>
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| | Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!

newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!news-out.newsfeeds.com!spool9-wes
| t!not-for-mail
| |
| | Thanks for the reply.
| |
| | One other question, If SP2 is uninstalled or re-applied, will Windows
| | Update web site detect this and list all the relevant patches that have
| | been downloaded once before?
| |
| | - Mike
| |
| | Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
| | > Hi Mike,
| | >
| | > Thank you for posting here!
| | >
| | > From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have applied
the
| SP2
| | > and updated with all the various updates and patches on your Windows
XP
| | > machine. You have some concerns if you can re-apply SP2 on this
| machine. If
| | > I misunderstand your concern, please let me know.
| | >
| | > Based on my research, I would like to explain as below:
| | >
| | > 1. Yes, if you re-apply the SP2, the patches/hotfixes that released
| after
| | > the SP2 need to be re-applied.
| | >
| | > 2. After these additional patches have been downloaded/installed, you
| can
| | > uninstall the SP2. After you uninstall the SP2, the version of some
| system
| | > files may be restore to earlier version.
| | > For more information about how to remove SP2, please refer to the
| following
| | > article:
| | > 875350: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/en-us
| | >
| | > 3. Regarding the question "Will software installed after SP2 need
| | > re-installed?", I think some software may be need to reinstalled.
| | >
| | > If you have any further questions, we also recommend Microsoft
Advisory
| | > Services, a remotely-delivered, consultative support option that adds
| the
| | > element of proactive support, providing a comprehensive result beyond
| your
| | > break-fix product maintenance needs. More information on this service
| here:
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice
| | >
| | > I hope this information is helpful in getting started and we invite
you
| | > post again with any specific break/fix issues.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | >
| | > =====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > =====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.g

iganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.spamkiller.net!spool9-west!not-for-ma
| | > il
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
Usenet
| | > News==----
| 120,000+
| | > Newsgroups
Encryption
| | > =----
| | > |

| |
| | ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
| News==----
| | http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+
| Newsgroups
| | ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
| =----
| |

MM

No I had more problems with the PC than SP2.
I reapplied and it fixed some of the issues.
I had to restore the PC from an image file.
Too many problems to fix.

Thanks for you help.

- Mike
Hi Mike,

I want to know if you need some further assistance for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Ken Zhao [MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:43:04 GMT
| Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi Mike,
|
| As far as I know, the Windows Update web site will re-scan and re-detect
| the current updates installed in your current system.
|
| Have a nice day!
|
| Best regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
|
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
| Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
| support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
| situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
all
| Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
|
| This and other support options are available here:
| BCPS:

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
|
| If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:34:05 -0400
| | From: MM <[email protected]>
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| | Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!

newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!news-out.newsfeeds.com!spool9-wes
| t!not-for-mail
| |
| | Thanks for the reply.
| |
| | One other question, If SP2 is uninstalled or re-applied, will Windows
| | Update web site detect this and list all the relevant patches that have
| | been downloaded once before?
| |
| | - Mike
| |
| | Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
| | > Hi Mike,
| | >
| | > Thank you for posting here!
| | >
| | > From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have applied
the
| SP2
| | > and updated with all the various updates and patches on your Windows
XP
| | > machine. You have some concerns if you can re-apply SP2 on this
| machine. If
| | > I misunderstand your concern, please let me know.
| | >
| | > Based on my research, I would like to explain as below:
| | >
| | > 1. Yes, if you re-apply the SP2, the patches/hotfixes that released
| after
| | > the SP2 need to be re-applied.
| | >
| | > 2. After these additional patches have been downloaded/installed, you
| can
| | > uninstall the SP2. After you uninstall the SP2, the version of some
| system
| | > files may be restore to earlier version.
| | > For more information about how to remove SP2, please refer to the
| following
| | > article:
| | > 875350: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/en-us
| | >
| | > 3. Regarding the question "Will software installed after SP2 need
| | > re-installed?", I think some software may be need to reinstalled.
| | >
| | > If you have any further questions, we also recommend Microsoft
Advisory
| | > Services, a remotely-delivered, consultative support option that adds
| the
| | > element of proactive support, providing a comprehensive result beyond
| your
| | > break-fix product maintenance needs. More information on this service
| here:
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice
| | >
| | > I hope this information is helpful in getting started and we invite
you
| | > post again with any specific break/fix issues.
| | >
| | > Thanks & Regards,
| | >
| | > Ken Zhao
| | >
| | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | >
| | > =====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
| so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > =====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.g

iganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.spamkiller.net!spool9-west!not-for-ma
| | > il
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
Usenet
| | > News==----
| 120,000+
| | > Newsgroups
Encryption
| | > =----
| | > |

| |
| | ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
| News==----
| | http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+
| Newsgroups
| | ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
| =----
| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear from you. If you have any question, feel free to post here.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:36:29 -0400
| From: MM <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????
|
| No I had more problems with the PC than SP2.
| I reapplied and it fixed some of the issues.
| I had to restore the PC from an image file.
| Too many problems to fix.
|
| Thanks for you help.
|
| - Mike
|
| Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
| > Hi Mike,
| >
| > I want to know if you need some further assistance for this issue.
| >

| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Ken Zhao [MSFT])
| > | Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 07:43:04 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Reinstall SP2?????
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi Mike,
| > |
| > | As far as I know, the Windows Update web site will re-scan and
re-detect
| > | the current updates installed in your current system.
| > |
| > | Have a nice day!
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > | Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > |
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | =====================================================
| > | Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical
phone
| > | support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
| > | situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
| > all
| > | Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
| > |
| > | This and other support options are available here:
| > | BCPS:
| > |

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > | Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
| > |
| > | If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| > | Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| > | =====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.
| > |

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!
| > |

newshosting.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!news-out.newsfeeds.com!spool9-wes
| > | t!not-for-mail
| > | |
Windows
| > | |
| > | |

| > the
| > | SP2
Windows
| > XP
| > | machine. If

| > | after

| > | can
| > | system
| > | following

| > Advisory
| > | the
| > | your
| > | here:

| > you

| > | so
| > | rights.

| > |

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.

| > |

sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.g

| > |

iganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!news-out.spamkiller.net!spool9-west!not-for-ma
| > | | > |
| > can
| > | | > |
| > | | > |