Windows XP Registry Problems Please Help Asap

Reaction score
I was trying to uninstall Logitech software, and got no help. I search the registry for "Logitech," but since Bill Gates and co. don't like any users to ever have a clean and easy-to-use computer who's files do not corrupt all by themselves, the "find" feature showed only one entry at a time, and showed things other then those which have been "found". So, expecting the software to actually work reasonably,I deleted every entry which showed up (at first). The relevant entries were always the only other key before the one found by the Logitech search. The Logitch-related key always had a value of a location under "Documents and Settings". There were always 2 entries, and the bottom entry always had a value of xxxxx_packagex86_xxxxxxx.xxxx . I need to figure out what these keys are and restore them (if necessary) before I restart my computer.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If the registry entries didn't have a direct reference to Logitech they should have been left alone.

And most detritus from uninstalled software has little or no impact on performance.

Are you actually suffering any problems after deleting the registry entries?

Which version of Windows are you using?

You could try a restore point, that's probably your best bet, then uninstall the Logitech software just from the Control Panel or Logitech menu link and leave the registry alone.

And Bill Gates is retired now, there's some megalomaniac named Bulmer or something running the show.

Reaction score
There is no restore, and if I "HELP NEED TO FIX THIS BEFORE I RESTART MY COMPUTER", how would I know whether it is going to cause problems or not? That is the purpose of the post, so that someone can either tell me how to fix it, or, has no idea what entries were deleted, but knows that if they were in the relevant locations that a BSOD will not occur.

Many applications have their entire install listed somewhere on the web, I could not find any for this, though. (All Logitech webcams apparently use the same software - even the CD doesn't specify a model number.)

You seem to have ignored my opening statement, though: I was trying to uninstall Logitech software, and got no help. This would mean that "removing a program from the Control Panel" is out of the question..... um, why else would I spend exorbitant amounts of time searching the registry? (Yes some poeple are incredibly stupid, nd I'm sure you get those, but presumably such people would not even know what a registry is - perhaps you think I am stupid that's why I used the word "incredibly" - people who don't know how to type an address into a URL bar.)

If the registry entries didn't have a direct reference to Logitech, they should not have shown up in a search for "Logitech". Love how you just completely ignore the fact that I've already mentioned I'm more intelligent then someone who can't type. Yeah sure you are sort-of kind-of trying to help me, but an insult telling me not to do something that I already know should not be done and already mentioned how it happened IF it happened (which is another thing we don't yet know, and won't until/unless someone with a Logitech webcam installed or who knows about general registry functioning can tell us whether or not the second keys in the directory were likely related to it), is still going to annoy the hell out of anyone at the very least.

It was on the very last such result that I noticed the search term was nowhere in the 2nd result shown on the screen, so I could not go to the next one and post a more exact example.

On the other hand every other result in this case, with the exception of MRUs, was to where you delete the entire key (or higher).

I know Bill didn't do everything himself, that's why instead of suing his name like everyone else does to insult Microsoft, I said "and company". We actually have no idea who designed any version of Windows other then the originals, and in more recent versions we definitely know it was multiple people.

I hope you did not edit my topic title btw 'cause if you did you did it so that it looks like I don't know how to type (not an insult to you since some people just don't care, but since people would assume I typed that I'd rather do it correctly unless it's automated in which case they'll know).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My goodness, calm down.

So I ignored your opening statement did I? Hmm. Fact is, I didn't actually know what you meant by 'got no help' I now realise you meant there were no links anywhere to uninstall the Logitech webcam software, either in that program's start menu or control panel. I also now know that the software is for a webcam and by looking at your profile I see you're using XP.

Let's just state I am no expert at all on all things software/Microsoft/Registry based. I've picked up some knowledge over the years but I am more a hardware kind of guy. But I do try and help. Where I can't help, or I'm not sure, I ignore the post.

I haven't got a clue how what you've done to the registry will affect Windows XP and I don't suppose you'll know until you boot. How else will you find out unless by starting? How else could you could access the registry unless you're in Windows?

Safe mode? Boot from a live Linux OS which even then I don't think you access the registry simply by accessing the hard disk Windows is on.

So, perhaps that makes me incredibly stupid but hey, I can live with that, I'm comfortable with what I can do with some confidence.

I did not edit your topic title, why the hell would I do that? The very rare time I do edit anything, including topic titles, is where sometimes a poster makes an obvious mistake, usually spelling, and I help them out on the sly by correcting it.

Now look, like I said I'm no expert but I reckon you're going to have to boot the machine and see what you have.

Or wait until a more knowledgeable person than myself answers your request.

Good luck with your problem and if you think I insulted you, you've misjudged me gal, that was never my intention.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My goodness, calm down.

So I ignored your opening statement did I? Hmm. Fact is, I didn't actually know what you meant by 'got no help' I now realise you meant there were no links anywhere to uninstall the Logitech webcam software, either in that program's start menu or control panel. I also now know that the software is for a webcam and by looking at your profile I see you're using XP.

Actually it means that for some reason or another, it could not be uninstalled normally. It does not really matter why unless there is some specific reason for a helper to want to know why because he believes it a virus or something (which it isn't), but in this case it simply means that it would not uninstall. If the uninstaller had disappeared before I did this, I probably would have mentioned that, because, if so, it would indicate that there may be problems with the registry which are *not* my fault. Since the issue is avoiding a BSOD rather then trying to uninstall the software, it is not really relevant whyit would not uninstall, so I did not post it. I didn't really have to say that at all, but if not it could easily attract some posts of "ZOMG U SHULDDNT DO DAT11" rather then posts attempting to help solve what (might) need to be fixed.

Let's just state I am no expert at all on all things software/Microsoft/Registry based. I've picked up some knowledge over the years but I am more a hardware kind of guy. But I do try and help. Where I can't help, or I'm not sure, I ignore the post.
Most of the forums I've been to recently have "staff", and you are supposed to assume they know everything all by themselves, and there will be no community posting and once one member posts about a solution, no one else will help. Obviously this is not a good thing, but they masses and masses of forums that do this made me come to expect this. I apologize for that.

I haven't got a clue how what you've done to the registry will affect Windows XP and I don't suppose you'll know until you boot. How else will you find out unless by starting?[/quote]

...Well, I could find out by posting topics on message boards and hoping someone will know what kind of registry entries involve xxxxx_Packagex86_xxxxxxx.xxx as the value, and would come as the only other entry in the same key as one related to the software that's related to a hardware.

Since most people who join tech support forums "as help" and have thousands of posts because they go around helping people, at least some of those people, know how to recognize keys and what they do. For example, some tweaks are memorized. Others know where certian components of software are located, and others know what certian things are called in the registry that is different then what they are called outside of it. It is actually pretty unlikely that there is no member on this board or the other two I have posted on so far that knows where in the registry might have one data with "value" of a file location and another with the "value" I listed. The only question is whether or not those people ('cause there will also likely be more then one) will both see my topic and post in it.

Safe mode? Boot from a live Linux OS which even then I don't think you access the registry simply by accessing the hard disk Windows is on.
If a registry edit causes a BSOD, it is either because the computer thinks there are hardware conflicts or because you deleted something that is literally needed to start the computer (either Windows or the computer itslef). You cannot access the registry through Linux because it is not files that you are looking for - well, they are stored in files but you have to be advanced to know how to read them, if it's possible at all. more advanced then me anyway.

^Most of this I found out when my laptop BSOD'd after a power outage and I had to run it from a Linux Live CD, but couldn't save anything.

So, perhaps that makes me incredibly stupid but hey, I can live with that, I'm comfortable with what I can do with some confidence.
No but if you're answering my question about what keys they might be one would assume you have a suggestion on what keys they might be (or else have a reason to believe that deleting them is not extraordinarily dangerous).

If you think I ACTUALLY called you stupid you probably misread something, but this board doesn't show previous posts while you are typing so I can't check on it (I've already re-opened this text box 4 times).

I did not edit your topic title, why the hell would I do that? The very rare time I do edit anything, including topic titles, is where sometimes a poster makes an obvious mistake, usually spelling, and I help them out on the sly by correcting it.
You are a moderator and the topic title is not as I typed it. That is why that section of my post is in the form of a question, so if there is anything in my post you are going to get angry/upset/offended/insulted by that seems like the least portion of it because that part was only talking to you if you DID do it! You are just a stranger so I do not know what you do or do not do. That means the board edits titles automatically.

Now look, like I said I'm no expert but I reckon you're going to have to boot the machine and see what you have.
If the computer restarts itself before someone knows what keys these may be then that is what will happen. I am not going to give myself an unsolvable BSOD though and a year of work "just for the hell of it to see whether or not it will happen."

In addition on the only board I had today besides this one, which has caused a few replies among other things, most everyone there is both ignorant and an asshole ("ignorant" in that they *do* refuse to read anything a topic actually says). In fact this tends to be true to some degree at any board with the structure I mentioned, as well as at the one board I have memorized that has a normal "posting structure". In other words I was not only annoyed before I got here, but also just expecting stupid and/or asshole behavior. So I apologize.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You will find there really aren't any egos here which may or may not make us different. I dunno.

No real rules, apart from no cussing and no spamming.

It's a family thing you see.

All we want to do is help. If we can, we will, if we can't we'll probably try anyway, lol

I can't help, that much is obvious.

Yes, I do have a lot of posts and I am a moderator. It means nothing, really, except I've been here for a long time.

I do not have an answer to your problem, being a moderator with a huge amount of posts does not mean I'm an expert with software, merely that I'm part of a community and can help run that community on a day to day basis.

I wish you luck.

PS: I'm not a total tosspot, I'm actually quite clever on some subjects :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I needed to edit my post as after reading everything again properly, what I said would not have made mus difference.
Ok here is wht I am going to add. You say you couldn't uninstall through the normal control panel way. So I take it you went along and deleted via entering into Program files and deleting folders etc that way.
All I would say to yo know is go and download and install Ccleaner and run that. This should and will take cqare oif anything that is left in the registry by7 you doing a manual un install via Program files etc. If after that you are unsure if the registry might be corrupt, then do a quick repair install, following the guidelines st out by Microsoft HERE

I do hope that has given you some form of help...
nod.gif
:)

You cannot access the registry through Linux

I just had a quick look around an Ubuntu forum and you can access and change the registry via Linux. Download and install WINE. As simple as that. There are one or two Linux boffs on this site that will be more helpful along the Linux route that what I can be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I do have a lot of posts and I am a moderator. It means nothing, really, except I've been here for a long time.

I do not have an answer to your problem, being a moderator with a huge amount of posts does not mean I'm an expert with software, merely that I'm part of a community and can help run that community on a day to day basis.

As it should be.

PS: I'm not a total tosspot, I'm actually quite clever on some subjects

LOL

I needed to edit my post as after reading everything again properly, what I said would not have made mus difference.
Ok here is what I am going to add. You say you couldn't uninstall through the normal control panel way. So I take it you went along and deleted via entering into Program files and deleting folders etc that way.
All I would say to yo know is go and download and install Ccleaner and run that. This should and will take cqare oif anything that is left in the registry by7 you doing a manual un install via Program files etc. If after that you are unsure if the registry might be corrupt, then do a quick repair install, following the guidelines st out by Microsoft HERE

No, I did all that. And also CCleaner doesn't help if all you've done is delete the Program Files folder. The registry displays search results differently then every other part of Windows, so what I thought was my results was not actually results, I deleted something that might not have been a part of the Logitech and trying to see if anyone can figure what or where it is and if it is safe to restart my computer or not (since registry changes don't' take effect until l restart, so if there's going to be a computer-death it can be fixed as long as you don't restart first).

I just had a quick look around an Ubuntu forum and you can access and change the registry via Linux. Download and install WINE.

Well, that makes sense. But you can't install anything using a LiveCD unless you have a lot of room on your HD to copy it. Either way that still requires a restart, so it isn't relevant to my situation.. probably for some who has already proven Windows is disabled. If my Windows is disabled i won't have enough information to be able to do anything with the registry.

Thanks for trying :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
mewgirl said:
Well, that makes sense. But you can't install anything using a LiveCD unless you have a lot of room on your HD to copy it.

Good point. I think at the end of the day you are just going to have to bite the bullet and do a restart. Can you or have you backed up all your data etc t6o another drive ?If not i'd say do that and then just restart. If all fails at least you have your data and you will be able to do a clean install. This is assuming you have the relevant install disks to hand.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can backup data (files & folders, pix, movies, music etc) from a live Linux CD that only resides in memory, try Damn Small Linux (if it runs as a live CD).

Just thought I'd mention that.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You can backup data (files & folders, pix, movies, music etc) from a live Linux CD that only resides in memory, try Damn Small Linux (if it runs as a live CD).

Just thought I'd mention that.

Yes it does. Link

Reaction score
Mewgirl entering registry is like opening the door to chaos, So i believe that the best way now to avoid problem is to boot in safe mode and do a restore point to 2 or 3 days back, now if no restore point exists then that is a serious problem.
To delete the logitech thingy you could try to download from logitech the whole installation pack and do the isntall/remove process from the begging, that means install the software and then remove it, so after un-install the registry entries will be removed by it. The most of times this procedure works. Now if you delete by accident other registry entries expect Logitechs and no restore point exists then try a windows repair from windows cd. i hope to gave you a clue.

Reaction score
No Zerocool you didn't give any help because I am not trying to install the Logitech software; as mentioned it would not uninstall normally and no one responded to that topic (different forum). The only way that is possible is if you knew of a software that moniters all registry entries, but even so that wouldn't help because it's not going to add something that is already there, and because it can't moniter it if you can't install it in the first place.

Also you really need to look up some more thing if you think that using Windows uninstall will actually remove everything form the registry... lol.

Anyway the computer was accidentally restarted since then, it didn't explode so apparently it didn't hurt anything important; I do have doubles of some things (such as the Network Connections CP option and two results for ever file result in Windows Search), but some of those have been there since before this problem.

Also editing the registry this way isn't dangerous if you know for sure you have no hardware of software of the brand in question, so if Windows programmers programmed the search correctly this wouldn't have happened, only the problem was because of something ACCIDENTALLY deleted, not because of something "thought it was okay to delete and found out later it wasn't".

However deleting all the registry entries still didn't stop the computer from thinking it was still there; I found this thing called REVO Uninstaller that gets rid of everything.

Reaction score
Because you misunderstood me and you didn't get in the procedure to think what im saying not even ask me again what i mean ill be more detailed, speaking for open a door to chaos was speaking metaphorically, everyone knows what ever the level of experience that since w2k the registry became a pain specially when you wanted to delete something that was annoying.
mewgirl said:
...I am not trying to install the Logitech software; as mentioned it would not uninstall normally ....
That i was trying to say is that maybe installing the software and putting back the registry entries will make the procedure overpass the original problem then you could try uninstall it normally.
mewgirl said:
Also you really need to look up some more thing if you think that using Windows uninstall will actually remove everything form the registry... lol.
I don't believe that i said something funny, i said that trying installing/removing the application it will remove the registry entries, i didn't say ALL but the most of them will get off.

Now about Revo im aware of such programs and more alike it but ill inform you the continue usage of these kind of programs it may hurt registry and the system will become unstable. And ill a agree about the registry search that MS programmers didn't even gave it a more easy way of finding things.

I don't play the smart guy here im trying to share my experience, as you don't know my level of experience and i don't know also yours, with others here too and give some tips that you haven't thought or stuck at the present time and see finally what was the problem and fix it.

Reaction score
....EXCEPT that you are saying things that are clearly impossible, which I mention are not possible, then mention again how I already mentioned they are impossible yet you still respond by telling me to do the same thing again??

Oh yes I most certainly thought you were talking about a literal door to literal chaos, because chaos is a completely definable place name and if it was it could definitely be reached merely by opening a door.

Yes the registry "is a pain" but it's existence is not, since you can now easily manipulate the values of things that are annoying without having to know programming languages, plus you can easily solve problems on your own in some cases by Googling a registry fix (mainly GUI or similar but also in some cases actual problems Windows causes).

You should not be comenting on others' intelligence (or saying that I "must be reading it wrong" and then proceed to say almost exactly what you said the first time) if you don't even know that "didn't even gave" is not a proper phrase.

Now if English is not your native language AND AS WELL you are not in any advanced stage of it you can pass over that last sentence as though it didn't exist, but due to your manner of "speaking" and the fact that you haven't mispelled any words nor properly capitalized "I" I am assuming that is not the case.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Seems we have the blind leading the blind here....

I understand what zerocool was trying to say, very simply reinstall Logitech software and the uninstall option may be re-presented, simple as that, and a fairly decent suggestion at that.

Ok, the guy may not have English as his primary language - so what?

Make allowances, understand, consider, don't sneer, you never know, you may learn something.

mewgirl, you've come here with an attitude. You're asking for help and as soon as help is offered you pull it to pieces. You profess to want a solution on one hand and then profess to know everything on the other.

Do you make a habit of joining forums and then stroking everybody's hair the wrong way?

I have humbled myself in this thread and admitted to not knowing everything but I'll also say those things I do know - I know well.

You did not respond to the Linux Live CD suggestion - why not? Seemed an ideal solution to me, editing the registry remotely. Do you really want a solution?

Checked your profile, linked to blog, whatever, is that you in hospital with a baby?

If so, pleased to meet you, I have three daughters, all grown up, been there, done that.

Try a little politeness, please.

Ask a Question