Registry Key Delete/modify HELP!!!

G

I need to modify or delete the Hewlett-Packard registry key. I can't, under ANY logon, Administrator or otherwise, change the key, permissions. It says "error opening key" it says I can change permissions, but it won't let me. Says unable to make permission changes: access is denied. HP just gives me a bunch of "work arounds" that don't do anything. HELP!!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Which specific H-P registry key do you wish to delete and why
do you wish to modify or delete it?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I need to modify or delete the Hewlett-Packard registry key. I can't, under ANY logon, Administrator or
otherwise, change the key, permissions. It says "error opening key" it says I can change permissions, but it
won't let me. Says unable to make permission changes: access is denied. HP just gives me a bunch of "work
arounds" that don't do anything. HELP!!
| --
| Spazztastic

G

The key is HKLM Software Hewlitt-Packard. Normally, when I have the printer connected, and I start/restart the computer, the computer keeps detecting the printer as new hardware, and it fails to install it because of the permissions of the registry key. I want to change the permissions, but it won't let me under any circumstances, and I've tried just about everything to change this registry key. It says "error opening key," and when changing permissions, "access is denied." I have deleted all traces of HP programs, icons, etc, tried a new driver/setup download - it failed. I deleted everything again. I disabled the plug and play detection. I can install the printer and it will work, but I want the full functionality of the HP software. Also I want to be able to use the auto plug and play install for anything else I may install on this computer. The computer is useless if it's trying to install two devices at once.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The New Hardware Wizard May Detect the Printer Device After Every Restart of the Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298370&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| The key is HKLM Software Hewlitt-Packard. Normally, when I have the printer connected, and I start/restart
the computer, the computer keeps detecting the printer as new hardware, and it fails to install it because of
the permissions of the registry key. I want to change the permissions, but it won't let me under any
circumstances, and I've tried just about everything to change this registry key. It says "error opening key,"
and when changing permissions, "access is denied." I have deleted all traces of HP programs, icons, etc,
tried a new driver/setup download - it failed. I deleted everything again. I disabled the plug and play
detection. I can install the printer and it will work, but I want the full functionality of the HP software.
Also I want to be able to use the auto plug and play install for anything else I may install on this computer.
The computer is useless if it's trying to install two devices at once.
| --
| Spazztastic

Ask a Question