Registry Fix

F. Lawrence Kulchar

I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and maintain all
sorts of stuff...

My question is...

Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing, a 'not
so good' thing, or useless?

In other words, how important is owning and using a Registry cleaner and
maintainer?

Obviously, this will yield opinionated responses.

Thank you,

Francis Kulchar

Shenan Stanley

F. Lawrence Kulchar said:
I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and
maintain all sorts of stuff...

My question is...

Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing,
a 'not so good' thing, or useless?

In other words, how important is owning and using a Registry
cleaner and maintainer?

Obviously, this will yield opinionated responses.

Although I would never recommend it to anyone who did not already understand
the registry - the value of the application you have decided to purchase to
you can only be determined by you. As you said - everything else is an
opinion in your case.

VanguardLH

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and
maintain all
sorts of stuff...

Do you have a backup and restore plan in place so when the registry
cleaner corrupts your registry so you can't even boot into Windows?
Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing,
a 'not
so good' thing, or useless?

In other words, how important is owning and using a Registry cleaner
and
maintainer?

Say you there was an unusually high amount of orphaned entries in your
registry, like something over 50MB worth. By deleting it, you would
speed up how long it takes Windows to load the registry's files when
it starts up - by all of 1 second. Ooooh, wow. Most folks that clean
out the registry end up deleting something about 10KB. They are doing
absolutely nothing to improve their Windows load time. Since the
registry is only read from the memory, and since memory is random
access, there is no difference to read one byte of memory in the
registry from the other, so any extra data in memory for orphaned
entries has no effect on the time to retrieve items from the memory
copy of the registry. So cleaning it out doesn't improve performance
there at all.

A registry cleaner should only be used if you yourself can correctly
cleanup the registry. The cleaner is just a tool to automate the same
process but you should know every change it intends to make and
understand each of those changes. After all, and regardless of the
stagnant expertise coded into the utility, YOU are the final authority
in what registry changes are performed.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

F. Lawrence Kulchar said:
I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and maintain
all
sorts of stuff...

My question is...

Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing, a 'not
so good' thing, or useless?

Since you use it actively, you must know the answer yourself:
- If you machine runs much faster then it's a good thing.
- If you have no hard evidence that it runs better then you've wasted your
money.
- If the machine now exhibits problems then you should cut your losses
and remove the cleaner.
In other words, how important is owning and using a Registry cleaner and
maintainer?

It's mostly in the mind of the purchasers. Many buy it and get a warm
feeling
inside about what a good thing it is, without any hard evidence about its
benefits. Some (like you) notice no difference in performance and begin to
wonder why they bought it - hence your post.

Ken Blake, MVP

I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and maintain all
sorts of stuff...

My question is...

Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing, a 'not
so good' thing, or useless?

None of the above. It is a very dangerous thing.

I strongly suggest you avoid using any registry cleaning program.
Cleaning of the registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the
registry alone and don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many
people think, and what vendors of registry cleaning software try to
convince you of, having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt
you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Ken Blake, MVP

Concerning ERUNT...I fear I do not possess the technical expertise to run
it!

Have you tried it? It requires no expertise at all, and is extremely
simple to run.

Bruce Chambers

F. Lawrence Kulchar said:
I bought and I am actively using RegCure to scan my computer and maintain all
sorts of stuff...

My question is...

Is the use of a Registry cleaner a very good thing, a good thing, a 'not
so good' thing, or useless?

The use of a registry "cleaner" is - at it's very possible best -
utterly useless. But there is a not insignificant chance of causing
irreparable damage to the OS.

In other words, how important is owning and using a Registry cleaner and
maintainer?

The farther you stay away from such snake oil products, the better.

Obviously, this will yield opinionated responses.

True. Some based upon years of experience, and other based upon
wishful thinking and gullibility.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry cleaner?

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained, inexperienced
computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry cleaners that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Tony Meloche

FLKulchar said:
Concerning ERUNT...I fear I do not possess the technical expertise to run
it!

ERUNT is a cinch! When it opens, check "System Registry" and "Current
User Registry". Click the third box if more than one person uses that
computer under their own name. In the horizontal box above that, it
will create the backup in a folder named by the date (like "12/11/07").
But I suggest you backspace the date only out, and replace it with a
name or word you know you will always remember (otherwise, if you need
to use it, you need to be able to remember the exact date of the
backup). Re-create a new backup every week under the same name.

If you ever need to run it, either from Windows or from a command prompt
in safe mode with command prompt, type into the "run" box:

C:\Windows\ERDNT\(the name you gave the backup), and press "Enter".
It's virtually foolproof, and as solid as a rock.

Tony