registry error message, (long post, sorry)

G

Any ideas on how to fix this? I only saw the fix for the system32 registry problem, didn't know if it would work on this
I'm still trying to get the boss's computer to boot.
HP Pavilion 513
Main problem: If booting from HD, only get black screen with "NTLDR is missing, press any key to re-start...
Steps tried so far
1) Downloaded the NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM files from my XP Home CD, downloaded the 6 XP boot floppies from Microsoft, and started the computer floppie #1 in drive A: and my XP CD in the CD drive. I got all 6 floppies installed, but with the following error message: "Windows XP will download the needed drivers for the following removable media device <NONE> " "No devices detected" And now the CD-ROM won't work

2) Shutdown, went through installing the 6 floppies again, got this error message: "Keyboard not detected, shutdown and check your cable connections

3) Same as before, shutdown, re-loaded all 6 floppies, but chose the "Repair" option, copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to the C: drive, was asked if I wanted to "Overwrite current file C:NTLDR?" and same question for ntdetect.com. I said yes to both, files were overwritten

tried to run bootfix /repair and was told to run chkdsk

tried to run chkdsk, and got this message: "The system registry does not appear to have an active ControlSet Key. The registry may be damaged.
Would downloading the Windows XP Sp1 boot floppies make a difference
I tell you, after all this, Bill Gates will never have to fear me as competition.... ;o

G

I also went to the HP site, and downloaded a BIOS update onto a floppie. It will take her from Version 3.04 to Version 3.23.
At what point should I update the bios? Didn't know how safe it would be to do it first.

----- Sarah wrote: -----

Any ideas on how to fix this? I only saw the fix for the system32 registry problem, didn't know if it would work on this.
I'm still trying to get the boss's computer to boot.
HP Pavilion 513w
Main problem: If booting from HD, only get black screen with "NTLDR is missing, press any key to re-start..."
Steps tried so far:
1) Downloaded the NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM files from my XP Home CD, downloaded the 6 XP boot floppies from Microsoft, and started the computer floppie #1 in drive A: and my XP CD in the CD drive. I got all 6 floppies installed, but with the following error message: "Windows XP will download the needed drivers for the following removable media device <NONE> " "No devices detected" And now the CD-ROM won't work!

2) Shutdown, went through installing the 6 floppies again, got this error message: "Keyboard not detected, shutdown and check your cable connections"

3) Same as before, shutdown, re-loaded all 6 floppies, but chose the "Repair" option, copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to the C: drive, was asked if I wanted to "Overwrite current file C:NTLDR?" and same question for ntdetect.com. I said yes to both, files were overwritten.

tried to run bootfix /repair and was told to run chkdsk.

tried to run chkdsk, and got this message: "The system registry does not appear to have an active ControlSet Key. The registry may be damaged."
Would downloading the Windows XP Sp1 boot floppies make a difference?
I tell you, after all this, Bill Gates will never have to fear me as competition.... ;o)

Ask a Question