Registry Error " Error while opening key"

Reaction score
My users have a program that stores connection information in the registry. When the users are granted administrative rights, the program runs without a problem. However, if I lower their rights to a Power User, the program no longer shows the connections. When I go into the registry as a Power User, I cannot open the keys associated with the program and I receive the "Error while opening key" message. However, when the user is given the admin rights, those keys open with no problems. Any other key in the registry can be opened without a problem, it's just the keys needed by this application.

Under no circumstances do I want to give my users administrative rights. Is there something that I am missing to open these keys under a nonadministrative account?

~Scott

Last edited:
Reaction score
Confused ?

What information Connection or otherwise needs to be stored, (outside a Log file) and what does storing stuff in the registry do for users.
(I know an accident waiting to happen)
I just do not get it, can you disclose the softwares name here?
If you use the registry for storage of frequently updated information, you will create fragmentation , where you do not want to do that......it seems like that will be the least of your worries

Last edited:
Reaction score
I acctually solved my own problem. The problem was user rights. The program was locked up so tight that it blocked its own reg keys to non admins. Using Regedt32, I was able to grant access to non admins.
~Scott

Ask a Question