Registry data not found

I've got a new laptop from Dell pre-loaded with WindowsXP and Microsoft
Office. It always has "registry data not found" error message on start up and
I have to click OK to get rid of it. Should I worry? Does it matter? If it
does, how do I fix it? Thanks (IT ignoramous!)

Thorsten Matzner

LesleyH said:
I've got a new laptop from Dell pre-loaded with WindowsXP and Microsoft
Office. It always has "registry data not found" error message on start up and
I have to click OK to get rid of it. Should I worry? Does it matter? If it
does, how do I fix it? Thanks (IT ignoramous!)

Return the machine if you did not yet install your own software on it.

Dell don't want to know - say it's a software issue and should ring software
helpline (and pay) for advice. I can't manage without my laptop anyway - self
employed so use it all the time

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Lesley,
Start Run msconfig
Goto the startup tab and check what applications are trying to startup.
One of the applications that is trying to startup is probably generating
this error message.
Check if mhotkey is there, sometimes this can cause that error, but the
error probably isn't limited to this app.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "=?Utf-8?B?TGVzbGV5SA==?=" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Registry data not found
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 03:40:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

LesleyH said:
Dell don't want to know - say it's a software issue and should ring software
helpline (and pay) for advice. I can't manage without my laptop anyway - self
employed so use it all the time

If this error was there from the beginning, they have to fix it. Only
if you installed other software and this cause the problem, Dell may
not be responsible.

I know - just trying to get them to sort it! Will run Dell PC restore next
week (per their email)

I've run msconfig - everything is ticked and mhotkey is there (and ticked)
and boot says everything running OK

Dell have given me instructions on Dell PC Restore which I'll try when I've
finished the critical bit of work I'm in the middle of.

Any other hints?

Thanks, Lesley