Registry Cleaner

rmorea

Hi,

I have just purchased Registry Mechanic, and am so far disappointed in
it. I used to be somewhat technically inclined, back in the days of
DOS I ran a computer lab, but I really haven't had time to keep up.
Still, I know more than most people...

Anyway, I bought this proggy thinking it would give me a bit more
information than just going into regedit and poking around without a
net. So far, it doesn't. I knew it would suggest changes that I would
be able to accept/reject one at a time. But the information it gives
is pretty useless for making the decision. And it is not like there is
a manual explaining what all this means. Also I am skeptical since it
found 106 "problems" and this computer is less than a week old.

Does any kind soul care to comment on a few illustrative examples?

Example 1:

High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell\PlayWithPowerDVD\command
default = C\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe%1

OK, so this is "High Priority." Very dramatic. And the value is
invalid, but the value of what? And the value is set to delete.
Should I be wondering whether this value needs to be fixed rather than
just deleted? I more or less understand "location"...this is where in
the registry the invalid value can be found. But I don't understand
"default." Is this the default setting of the invalid value? Is Reg
Cleaner proposing to reset the value to the default? What if the
system was intentionally configured differently from the default? Am I
even asking the right questions?

Example 2:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CC2C83A6-9BE4-11D0-98E7-00C04FC2CAF5]\InprocServer32
SystemDB = C:\WINDOWS\system32\system.mdw

Again, I get that it is high priority, a value is invalid and should be
deleted. Again, not sure if it ought to be fixed rather than deleted.
Again, understand location more or less. Not sure what "SystemDB =" is
proposing to do. Really not sure what to make of this.

Example 3:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD
SrcDir = C:Falcon\Drivers\DVD\PowerDVD 4.0 - Sony Bundle\

In looking for examples I've just realized that the soultion in every
case is "set to delete." What is SrcDir? What is this telling me?

So far, I have decided NOT to make any of the 106 proposed changes.
And if I wind up not, then the proggy is pretty useless.

Comments?

Thanks,

rcm

David Candy

It means it can't find the file. Have fun breaking your system.

[...]

Malke

Hi,

I have just purchased Registry Mechanic, and am so far disappointed in
it. I used to be somewhat technically inclined, back in the days of
DOS I ran a computer lab, but I really haven't had time to keep up.
Still, I know more than most people...
(snip)

Do a Google Groups Advanced search just using this newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general for "registry cleaner". You will
find tons of posts about the subject. Bottom line is that using a
registry cleaner is not a good idea with Windows XP.

Maybe you can get your money back.

Malke

_RR

Hi,

I have just purchased Registry Mechanic, and am so far disappointed in
it.
.... the information it gives
is pretty useless for making the decision. And it is not like there is
a manual explaining what all this means. Also I am skeptical since it
found 106 "problems" and this computer is less than a week old.

I'm also skeptical about a program knowing so much about the registry.
I haven't used Reg Mechanic, but given your technical background, you
may get more out of a good book + a program like EasyCleaner by
ToniArts. EasyCleaner finds a few orphaned entries, tells you about
them and lets you remove them if necessary.

In my opinion this is not valuable in the sense that it removes
clutter; it is worthwhile because it will tell you why a certain
program is not running. Consider your example:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell\PlayWithPowerDVD\command
default = C\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe%1

OK, so this is "High Priority." Very dramatic. And the value is
invalid, but the value of what? And the value is set to delete.
Should I be wondering whether this value needs to be fixed rather than
just deleted? I more or less understand "location"...this is where in
the registry the invalid value can be found. But I don't understand
"default." Is this the default setting of the invalid value? Is Reg
Cleaner proposing to reset the value to the default? What if the
system was intentionally configured differently from the default? Am I
even asking the right questions?

The initial registry setting appears to assign Cyberlink PowerDVD to
play audio CDs. You may have moved or uninstalled PowerDVD, because
RegMech think that it's no longer in "C:\Program Files..." (by the
way, was there a colon after the C?).

I don't know that this is a high priority. I doubt your computer will
fall over if it fails to play an audio DVD. 'Value is invalid'
probably refers to registry 'Key/Value' pairs. The key is the Hive
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, often abbrev'd HKCR) followed by an exact location
in the registry. The Value is after the '=' sign. That's what
apparently does not exist.

By default, it probably means that if you insert an audio CD or
otherwise activate it, PowerDVD will be the default program to handle
it (play it back, in this case). Often if you right-click on an
object you can open with alternate programs, hence the term 'default'
for response to plain old double-click.

You're asking the right questions. Dig a bit deeper before you play
with the registry directly. There are other ways of changing those
settings. For example, you can R-Click a file of a certain type (say,
JPG), then go to 'Open With' -> 'Choose Program' and either pick a
program from the list or browse for a program. Notice the checkbox on
that screen: [ ] Always use the selected program to open this file.
If you check that, the program you select will become the future
'default.' No registry editing necessary; info is entered in the
right key automatically.
Example 2:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CC2C83A6-9BE4-11D0-98E7-00C04FC2CAF5]\InprocServer32
SystemDB = C:\WINDOWS\system32\system.mdw

Again, I get that it is high priority, a value is invalid and should be
deleted. Again, not sure if it ought to be fixed rather than deleted.
Again, understand location more or less. Not sure what "SystemDB =" is
proposing to do. Really not sure what to make of this.

Look at the file at the end of the 'Value.' In this case, it's
"system.mdw." This may mean that you had MS Access installed and that
either it was removed, or possibly that you changed windows versions.
Your registry indicates that the file is in Windows\System32, but I
thought it was normally in "C:\Documents and Settings\YourUsername\
Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.mdw". This may have changed
from Win98 -> WinXP. (Did you install over an old Win98/ME?)

In any event, if you're going to alter the registry you should verify
whether the file is really there before doing anything with any key.
A good first step is to open any folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options
-> View and look through that list of options. You want to set [x]
show hidden files and folders. UNcheck [ ] Hide Extensions for known
types (why did MS set that?). I personally UNcheck [ ] Hide protected
operating system files. I trust that you won't be deleting operating
system files even if some reg-checker claims they're orphaned or
whatever.

Back to System.mdw... the mention of 'inprocserver32' in the key would
imply it's part or at least associated with activex (com) objects, and
I believe it's used by Access. Maybe by other programs as well.
Example 3:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD
SrcDir = C:Falcon\Drivers\DVD\PowerDVD 4.0 - Sony Bundle\

In looking for examples I've just realized that the soultion in every
case is "set to delete." What is SrcDir? What is this telling me?

"Set to delete" no doubt means that RegMechanic wants to earn its keep
by deleting stuff it can't find or doesn't understand. Not always a
good thing. At least it's asking first.

All programs are free to create and name their own reg keys, so good
luck walking through all of them. <g> In this case, it's probably
"Source Directory" and that is probably a specific handler installed
by PowerDVD.

If you've uninstalled PowerDVD, that would explain some of this.
Programmers are notorious for leaving reg keys in place even after
they uninstall files.
So far, I have decided NOT to make any of the 106 proposed changes.
And if I wind up not, then the proggy is pretty useless.

Best to 'show a man to fish' but there are always some slippery ones.
Now that you have an idea how the registry works, you should be able
to come up with a Google hits for the programs mentioned by Reg
Mechanic. Search both web and groups.

Steve K©

[...]

No, the key's name is "default" - since u don't have PowerDVD any longer on
your box just let it remove.
Example 2:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CC2C83A6-9BE4-11D0-98E7-00C04FC2CAF5]\InprocServer32
SystemDB = C:\WINDOWS\system32\system.mdw

Again, I get that it is high priority, a value is invalid and should be
deleted. Again, not sure if it ought to be fixed rather than deleted.
Again, understand location more or less. Not sure what "SystemDB =" is
proposing to do. Really not sure what to make of this.

the system.mdw belongs to Microsoft Access - I guess u don't have MS Access
installed(?) so that key can be removed

Example 3:
High Priority: Value is invalid - Set to Delete
Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD
SrcDir = C:Falcon\Drivers\DVD\PowerDVD 4.0 - Sony Bundle\

In looking for examples I've just realized that the soultion in every
case is "set to delete." What is SrcDir? What is this telling me?

Source Dir usually means where it (PowerDVD) was installed from (location)
this dir no longer exist? - then remove that key.

So far, I have decided NOT to make any of the 106 proposed changes.
And if I wind up not, then the proggy is pretty useless.

Comments?

I too have the licensed version of Reg. Mech.
I never had any incidents with this software - u usually can trust it and
delete all the debris left behind by usually bad
uninstallations/installations. It never broke my system. For me all those
registry keys removed are pretty self explaining. BTW, RegMech is doing a
backup b4 the keys are removed - if something goes wrong..just restore it.
See the Restore Backup button?

:)

PopS

Candy, sometimes you're a real wart on the ass of
progress, you know that?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It means it can't find the file. Have fun breaking your
system.

Rock

PopS said:
Candy, sometimes you're a real wart on the ass of
progress, you know that?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It means it can't find the file. Have fun breaking your
system.

His comment was right on the mark. It does mean it can't find the file,
and registry cleaners can cause more harm than good. We get posts in
here all the time of on the order of..."This or that doesn't work. I
used a registry cleaner before this happened and now I have a problem".
It was good advice.

_RR

His comment was right on the mark. It does mean it can't find the file,
and registry cleaners can cause more harm than good. We get posts in
here all the time of on the order of..."This or that doesn't work. I
used a registry cleaner before this happened and now I have a problem".
It was good advice.

"It means it can't find the file." was good advice.
"Have fun breaking your system" was a weird comment.

The OP stated that he had NOT erased any registry entries,
so he was not headed toward breaking anything. In fact, he was
looking for what caused the reg-cleaner to show the message.
It was pretty easy to just explain it, but I guess that's no fun, eh?

Rock

_RR said:
"It means it can't find the file." was good advice.
"Have fun breaking your system" was a weird comment.

The OP stated that he had NOT erased any registry entries,
so he was not headed toward breaking anything. In fact, he was
looking for what caused the reg-cleaner to show the message.
It was pretty easy to just explain it, but I guess that's no fun, eh?

What part of it don't you get? It was a warning.

_RR

_RR wrote:

What part of it don't you get? It was a warning.

OK.

I usually scope out the helpful posters in any new newsgroup, and
there seem to be many here, including the MVPs, you, Mr. Candy, etc.
Given his previously helpful and knowledgable comments, I was
surprised to see Mr C call someone 'prick-face' for what I thought was
an innocent question.

We each have our own fields of expertise, and I bet everyone here is
naive in some subjects. If I were to ask a naive question on a
veterinary group and someone replied "Have fun killing your dog,
dickwad" I would assume unwarranted antagonism. But maybe that's a
legitimate way to convey knowledge in some circles.

In any event, I don't have any problem with you, Rock, and I'm new to
the group. I'll adapt, prickface (just kidding).