registry cleaner screwing up IE7

I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
I'd better not say it.

I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT when
we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank god),
but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is there
anyone who had this before?

Thank's in advance.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"...that it didn't mess about with my computer."
But that is exactly the purpose of registry cleaners.

That is a potential problem with registry cleaners and why I suggest
they not be used.
If it is a decent registry cleaner, there is a way to restore the
deleted data.
Otherwise System Restore to Date/Time before this all started.

If you are going to use a registry cleaner, there are a few things you
should know:
1. Understand how the registry cleaner works and how it restore back
if you encounter problems.
If restoring back is not an option with your cleaner, do not use that
cleaner.
2. Know enough about the registry to recognize if what the cleaner
marks as bad truly is.
If you are unsure and can not make a positive determination, leave it
alone.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"John" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Kayman

John said:
Hi,
I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
I'd better not say it.
I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT
when
we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank
god),
but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is
there
anyone who had this before?

Registry cleaners can be unforgiving. Experts usually advise against the use
of these so-called 'cleaners'. I'd uninstall this application- it's not
needed!

If you have problems uninstalling use:
Revo Uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Then download:
ERUNT and NTREGOPT
use NTREGOPT to streamline you registry.
ERUNT can be very useful.

Sometimes registry items are left behind when uninstalling a program.
This application is pretty useful as well:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker can find, delete and back-up these registry items.
But don't use the 'Clean the Registry" function.

Good luck :)

Ramesh, MS-MVP

From: http://www.abexo.com/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

<excerpt>

How do I restore the registry if anything goes wrong?

Method 1 (Via Abexo Registry Cleaner): Launch Abexo Registry Cleaner, click the "Undo Cleanups" button, click the "Select Undo File" drop-down menu to select the most recent undo file and finally click the "Undo" button. Undo files are named after the date and time of the corresponding cleanup.

Method 2 (Manual restore): Open Windows Explorer, go to [Your Username]\Abexo\arc\Restore\ and double-click the most recent registry backup file. Registry backup files are named after the date and time of backup.

Method 3 (Full restore): This will restore your registry to an earlier state. Open Windows Explorer, go to [Your Username]\Abexo\arc\Backups and double-click the most recent registry file. The files are named after the date and time of cleanup.

</excerpt>

I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
I'd better not say it.

I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT when
we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank god),
but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is there
anyone who had this before?

Thank's in advance.

Alias

Newbie said:
John,

You're foolish to even install & run a registry cleaner

I've been using SystemSuite for years with no problems. I have been
using Crap Cleaner since it came out with no problems on dozens of machines.

There are registry cleaners and then there are registry cleaners.

Curt Christianson

Hi John,

Just a FYI, in case you are interested--a good read:

Discussion of Registry "Cleaners"
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

--
HTH,
Curt

Windows Support Center
www.aumha.org
Practically Nerded,...
http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

message | Hi,

| I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
| My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
| I'd better not say it.
|
| I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT
when
| we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank
god),
| but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is
there
| anyone who had this before?
|
| Thank's in advance.
| --
| A story of success always has a beginning.

R. McCarty

But, every PC has a different combination of Hardware/Software and
settings. While your setup may allow for "Damage Free" use, that does
not guarantee that someone else wouldn't end up with a damaged XP
using either program.
Again the problem is the subjective determination of what is and is not
safe to remove. Every Registry Cleaner has the potential to nick a key
or value that could break something. If the cleaner only goes after MRU
lists and other "Workspace" items that's relatively safe. If it drills into
the associations ( Unused extensions...) and starts removing things then
you're asking for trouble.
Believe me when I say I frequently fix PCs that the user listened to
Kim Komando's show and turned a Registry Cleaner loose on their PC.

Curt Christianson

And the thing is, I'm sure Kim knows better. Gotta keep the sponsors
happy...

--
HTH,
Curt

Windows Support Center
www.aumha.org
Practically Nerded,...
http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

| But, every PC has a different combination of Hardware/Software and
| settings. While your setup may allow for "Damage Free" use, that does
| not guarantee that someone else wouldn't end up with a damaged XP
| using either program.
| Again the problem is the subjective determination of what is and is not
| safe to remove. Every Registry Cleaner has the potential to nick a key
| or value that could break something. If the cleaner only goes after MRU
| lists and other "Workspace" items that's relatively safe. If it drills
into
| the associations ( Unused extensions...) and starts removing things then
| you're asking for trouble.
| Believe me when I say I frequently fix PCs that the user listened to
| Kim Komando's show and turned a Registry Cleaner loose on their PC.
|
| | > Newbie Coder wrote:
| >> John,
| >>
| >> You're foolish to even install & run a registry cleaner
| >>

| > I've been using SystemSuite for years with no problems. I have been
using
| > Crap Cleaner since it came out with no problems on dozens of machines.
| >
| > There are registry cleaners and then there are registry cleaners.
| >
| > --
| > Alias
| > To email me, remove shoes

Alias

R. McCarty said:
But, every PC has a different combination of Hardware/Software and
settings. While your setup may allow for "Damage Free" use, that does
not guarantee that someone else wouldn't end up with a damaged XP
using either program.
Again the problem is the subjective determination of what is and is not
safe to remove. Every Registry Cleaner has the potential to nick a key
or value that could break something. If the cleaner only goes after MRU
lists and other "Workspace" items that's relatively safe. If it drills into
the associations ( Unused extensions...) and starts removing things then
you're asking for trouble.
Believe me when I say I frequently fix PCs that the user listened to
Kim Komando's show and turned a Registry Cleaner loose on their PC.

I guess you missed the part about "dozens of machines".

R. McCarty

Actually I did catch that. The point was that Registry Cleaners have
different levels of actions, like the cutting height of a mower. Some
just clip the tops - others cut down too far.

Alias

R. McCarty said:
Actually I did catch that. The point was that Registry Cleaners have
different levels of actions, like the cutting height of a mower. Some
just clip the tops - others cut down too far.

Then I guess you missed the part where I wrote, "There are registry
cleaners and then there are registry cleaners".

--
Alias
To email me, remove shoes

Bruce Chambers

John said:
Hi,

I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
I'd better not say it.

Not at all surprising. *NO* automated registry cleaner does anything
of value, and they all have the potential of damaging the OS.

Why did you think you needed a registry "cleaner?"

What specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some
snake oil program's bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think
can be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you do have a problem that
is rooted in the registry, it would be far better to simply edit (after
backing up, of course) only the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are
causing the problem. After all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will
do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or two registry
entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of allowing an
automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT when
we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank god),
but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is there
anyone who had this before?

Since you're running IE7, the solution is fairly simple. Uninstall IE7
and that snake oil registry cleaner, and then reinstall IE7. That
should remove the bogus branding.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Frank

John said:
Hi,

I just installed Abexo Registry Cleaner Free, and cleaned up my registry.
My computer is faster (very faster), however, it just chewed up IE's a...
I'd better not say it.

I just reset my browser and it is so annoying. It thinks I'm with AAPT
when
we are with a different ISP. It still connects to the internet (thank
god),
but I want to make sure that it didn't mess about with my computer. Is
there
anyone who had this before?

Use the restore feature. Restore your registry. See if IE is fixed.
I ran Abexo the other day and it came up with a couple hundred
errors. I chose fix problems and it only fixed two and they were
MRU's. Those 2 or 4 hundred errors are marketing scams.

Hey, I just found out about these registry cleaners - and now what they do.

Don't just say that I am useless (in case that is what you are thinking)
when it comes to registry cleaners.

Thank you!

I have considered uninstalling the program, because I think my file
extensions have gone wrong too. Don't worry!

John.