    and/or downloaded files?

    Thanx, Fred

    , Oct 9, 2008

  2. On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:48:23 +0200, wrote:

    > I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
    > cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.
    >
    > My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
    > and/or downloaded files?

    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that question. But if you
    are asking about registry cleaners, here's my standard post on the
    subject:

    Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
    registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
    don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
    what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
    having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

    The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
    removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
    it may have.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Oct 9, 2008

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:48:17 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:48:23 +0200, wrote:
    >
    >> I know of cookies, index files and suchlike. A great number of
    >> cleaners are available to remove/shred those files.
    >>
    >> My question is: includes the registry information on visited web sites
    >> and/or downloaded files?

    >Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that question. But if you
    >are asking about registry cleaners, here's my standard post on the
    >subject:
    >
    >Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
    >registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
    >don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
    >what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
    >having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
    >
    >The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
    >removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
    >it may have.

    John thanks. My question is related to privacy. What I wanted to say:
    I know that traces of one's web activity can be found in -files-.
    Files can be deleted/shredded.

    Now the registry is different. My question: is there inside the
    registry information on one's web/download history? Readable with
    regedit, should you know where to look.

    Fred

    , Oct 9, 2008
  4. db.·.. > Guest

    the simple conclusion is that
    the software you have or had
    can be traced back to its origin
    because of the keys in the
    registry/database, whether the
    keys are active or orphaned.

    so this is one of the reasons
    for keeping outdated data out
    of the registry file/database.

    however, different registry
    cleaners utilize different
    criterion for removing keys.

    for example, the one care
    safety scanner version and
    then running eusing utilize
    two different methodologies
    for determining keys that can
    be removed.

    once the keys are removed they
    are not recoverable.

    however, the registry and the keys
    it had can be restored via system
    restore or from a back up.

    another point to make is that
    simply deleting files or folders
    from your disk is the snake oil
    because unless the space is "wiped"
    cleaned and "replaced" with data
    utilizing specialized software, then
    that data, which is presumed to
    be deleted, is in fact fully recoverable.

    and yet the above is not totally
    secure, because some software
    that "wipe" away deleted data, simply
    relocate that data to a different place
    on the disk.

    -----------

    because you specifically asked about
    cookie data inside the registry; its easy for
    you to check for yourself and develop
    your own understanding by clicking on:
    start>run>regedit

    then go to the menu and use the
    "find" option/feature and enter
    any criterion that you are interested
    with.
    --

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    db.·.. >, Oct 9, 2008

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 17:22:59 -0500, db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. .
    <databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com> wrote:

    Snip,snip .....

    >because you specifically asked about
    >cookie data inside the registry; its easy for
    >you to check for yourself and develop
    >your own understanding by clicking on:
    >start>run>regedit
    >
    >then go to the menu and use the
    >"find" option/feature and enter
    >any criterion that you are interested
    >with.

    Wow, I could have thought of that myself (but did not!)

    Thanks, Fred

    , Oct 9, 2008