Register in GAC - vsdrpCOM

Gene Vangampelaere

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem and I'm not able to resolve it. Can someone
help me please ?

I want to create a MSI (setup package) to install a assembly into the GAC.
When I build the project I get this error:

Unable to build assembly named 'NameOfTheAssembly.dll', HRESULT ==
'8007065B'

The register property of the primary output is set to vsdrpCOM.
When I set it to vsdrpDoNotRegister then I can build the setup package but
.... the assembly is not registered of course !

Phil Wilson

What happens if you don't use the Project Output choice? Just add the
assembly by browsing to it, then setting registration to vsdraCOM. (lower
case 'a' for assembly, lower case 'p' for project output).

Gene Vangampelaere

I think I found the solution:
I used the project output into 2 directories (GAC and Application dir) and I
let it registering as COM twice. Now I only registered it in the GAC and it
works!

There where also a lot registry entries in my registry (I tested the dll a
lot!). I deleted them all and compiled again. Maybe that was also a problem
.... who knows ... ;-)

Thanks for the reply anyway !!

G.

--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

"Gene Vangampelaere"

Phil Wilson

If you have a lot of registry entries for the class, it might be because you
haven't specified an explicit Guid for the class and Visual Studio is
generating a new one every time you change something and rebuild. It helps
to nail down the version too instead of an AssemblyVersion of 1.0.*.
--

Phil Wilson said:
What happens if you don't use the Project Output choice? Just add the
assembly by browsing to it, then setting registration to vsdraCOM. (lower
case 'a' for assembly, lower case 'p' for project output).
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]
Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=280

"Gene Vangampelaere"

anil

Hey Phil,

I tried removing the primary output and adding just the assembly. I haven't
specified any GUIDs in the code. My installation package keeps failing with
this error. I also followed all the steps in the blog. But no luck. Can u
suggest anything ?

-Anil

wrote in message Hi,

I'm having a strange problem and I'm not able to resolve it. Can
someone
help me please ?

I want to create a MSI (setup package) to install a assembly into the GAC.
When I build the project I get this error:

Unable to build assembly named 'NameOfTheAssembly.dll', HRESULT ==
'8007065B'

The register property of the primary output is set to vsdrpCOM.
When I set it to vsdrpDoNotRegister then I can build the setup package but
... the assembly is not registered of course !

jbs

Check if [ClassInterface(ClassInterfaceType.None)]
None - not AutoDual if you use several classes.
Comment all ProjId but one and look at oleview what happens.