reg_sz instead of reg_expand_sz

use_replyto_address

I found out a few registry keys are now "reg_sz" type while they
should be "reg_expand_sz", I believe, such as Desktop, Favorites and
Documents (Personal) in User Shell Folders.

I think I inadvertly edited those keys using Regedit instead of
Regedt32 My bad! >:-(

"You cannot view, edit, or search the value data types REG_EXPAND_SZ
and REG_MULTI_SZ. If you try to view a REG_EXPAND_SZ value, Regedit.exe
displays it as a binary data type. If you try to edit either of these
data types, Regedit.exe saves it as REG_SZ, and the data type no longer
performs its intended function."
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=141377

Can I "repair" those keys somehow?

I also moved those folder (Favorites, Desktop, My Documents) to a
different location (the same for all users/administrators) by dragging
them.

I have Windows 2000 Pro Sp4.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

[...]

Run regedt32.exe, then delete & recreate the problem keys,
making them reg_expand_sz. You can cut & paste the data.

Enrico C

I found out a few registry keys are now "reg_sz" type while they
should be "reg_expand_sz", I believe, such as Desktop, Favorites and
Documents (Personal) in User Shell Folders.

I think I inadvertly edited those keys using Regedit instead of
Regedt32 My bad! >:-(
I also moved those folder (Favorites, Desktop, My Documents) to a
different location (the same for all users/administrators) by dragging
them.

I managed to restore the usual values (personal data folders in D&D,
Reg_expand_sz type) by exporting them from the Default branch, then I
edited the .reg and imported to the user branch (as reg_expand_sz).

But, after that, I dragged and pasted my folders to a different
location, and again they turned to reg_sz data type!

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Enrico C said:
I managed to restore the usual values (personal data folders in D&D,
Reg_expand_sz type) by exporting them from the Default branch, then I
edited the .reg and imported to the user branch (as reg_expand_sz).

But, after that, I dragged and pasted my folders to a different
location, and again they turned to reg_sz data type!

You did not tell us how you imported these values but
I suspect you used regedit.exe. The result is entirely
predictable.

Enrico C

Pegasus (MVP) ha scritto:
Run regedt32.exe, then delete & recreate the problem keys,
making them reg_expand_sz. You can cut & paste the data.

It works.
Thanks! :)

Enrico C

Pegasus (MVP) ha scritto:
Run regedt32.exe, then delete & recreate the problem keys,
making them reg_expand_sz. You can cut & paste the data.

It works.
Thanks! :)

Joined
Mar 17, 2014
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Pegasus (MVP) ha scritto:

> Run regedt32.exe, then delete & recreate the problem keys,
> making them reg_expand_sz. You can cut & paste the data.

It works.
Thanks! :)

I need some extra explanation: when I run regedt32.exe than let's say I crate a new key but it will be automatically crated as REG_SZ how to convert it to reg_expand_sz ?