References disappearing from CF Project

David Webb

Hi,

I'm using VS 2003 CF SP1 and have a problem which is reoccuring enough
now to really start @#^%ing me off. I'm using Xceed Compression
Library and when I load the project, I have errors in the output
window stating that the I've referenced an invalid object. It is
listed in the References. If I go to References, remove the reference
then re add it, all is fine. This happened once or twice a week but is
now happening nearly every time I load the project.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a remedy?

Another problem that is still happening is that the forms show as a
module/class reference - if I go to the top line of the code, cut it
out, then paste it, it shows as a form again. It appears to be an IDE
bug.

Kind Regards,

David.

Joe Bork [MSFT]

Hi David,

Would you be able to share or send me the complete solution you're using
which reproduces this problem? This is an issue I haven't seen with VS.NET
2003. Aside from adding the reference to the compression library (which is
a 3rd party library, correct?), have you made any manual changes to the
code that the designer generated?

Thanks,
--Joe

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (David Webb)
| Subject: References disappearing from CF Project
| Date: 21 Sep 2003 16:09:12 -0700
|
| Hi,
|
| I'm using VS 2003 CF SP1 and have a problem which is reoccuring enough
| now to really start @#^%ing me off. I'm using Xceed Compression
| Library and when I load the project, I have errors in the output
| window stating that the I've referenced an invalid object. It is
| listed in the References. If I go to References, remove the reference
| then re add it, all is fine. This happened once or twice a week but is
| now happening nearly every time I load the project.
| Does anyone have any suggestions for a remedy?
|
| Another problem that is still happening is that the forms show as a
| module/class reference - if I go to the top line of the code, cut it
| out, then paste it, it shows as a form again. It appears to be an IDE
| bug.
|
| Kind Regards,
|
| David.

Gert Driesen

I've actually similar problems when using another library (log4net). I
always loose references to that assembly, when someone else on our makes a
change to the project file (eg. by adding a source file) and checks in the
changed project to VSS . Next time I get a latest version of the project, I
loose the reference to log4net and have to manually add the reference again

I don't think this problem is library dependent ...I assume you'll have this
problem with all third party assemblies in a team environment (and using
source control ??).

Gert

Daniel Moth

Just to add... Similar situation, similar problems here...

Every time I open my GUI solution I have to recompile in order to get all
the forms to be recognised as such... No changes to the designer generated
code are made...

If I recompile external dlls (projects) then in my GUI solution I have to
remove/add the references to the dlls although they are interface/version
compatible... This i also needed sometimes when I switch between
Debug/Release configurations or when working disconnected from sourcesafe...

Cheers
Daniel