Recycle Bin Deleted in Windows Explorer???

G

Hi
I have two hard drives in my system, so a C:\ and a D:\. Now I installed XP PRO over Win 98 and it caused a problem with both recycle bins for both drives to where they are now always folder icons, but seen to have recycle bins inside these folders. The folders have the original names of the bin, but the ones inside which have the recycle bin icons are really long names for example "S-1-5-21-1482476501-1972579041-839522115-1003". I cannot delete these folders, but I did work out a way to move each folder to it's apposing drive, then I can do with it as I please. So, I took the long named bins inside the folders and moved them back to the drives they came from and renamed them the original names of the recycle bins. This seemed to completely solve the problem and my recycle bins in windows explorer were now back to normal. But, of course, when I restart my computer a problem then occurs where any file I delete doesn't go to either recycle bin, but is permanently deleted:\ After all this there must be some way to make my recycle bins fully functional again? This has nothing to do with my desktop icon, that's perfectly fine. This is all in windows explorer. So, pleeease anyone help me correct this problem. Thanks

M

Mary Sauer

Right-click the recycle bin, properties, mine has a global tab however yours may not,
in any event there is a check off "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files
immediately when deleted"... un-tick this box.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/
http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm
news://msnews.microsoft.com
Worf21 said:
Hi,
I have two hard drives in my system, so a C:\ and a D:\. Now I installed XP PRO
over Win 98 and it caused a problem with both recycle bins for both drives to where
they are now always folder icons, but seen to have recycle bins inside these folders.
The folders have the original names of the bin, but the ones inside which have the
recycle bin icons are really long names for example
"S-1-5-21-1482476501-1972579041-839522115-1003". I cannot delete these folders, but I
did work out a way to move each folder to it's apposing drive, then I can do with it
as I please. So, I took the long named bins inside the folders and moved them back to
the drives they came from and renamed them the original names of the recycle bins.
This seemed to completely solve the problem and my recycle bins in windows explorer
were now back to normal. But, of course, when I restart my computer a problem then
occurs where any file I delete doesn't go to either recycle bin, but is permanently
deleted:\ After all this there must be some way to make my recycle bins fully
functional again? This has nothing to do with my desktop icon, that's perfectly
fine. This is all in windows explorer. So, pleeease anyone help me correct this
problem. Thanks

D

Drew Tognola

yeh, it sounds like you had the 'Configure drives independently' checked in
the 'Global' tab. You must 'Use one setting for all drives'.
Drew

G

hmm, nope I have the drives set to use one setting for all drives and the Do not move files to the recycle bin option is and was unchecked. Since I've restarted after remaking the recycle bins it's just permantently deleting everything. Nothings going to the bins at all and I checked all their settings to make sure that permanent delete was in fact unckecked and it is. I think this problem goes a little deeper than that. possibly something I'd need to edit in the registry. The only way I can get it to where I can have files in the bin is for me to make them folders again. If I delete the new bins it'll automatically create the folders the next time I delete something:/ pleeeease help P.S. I am using Norton Antivirus 2003 Pro, but I disabled recycle bin protection, although the options for protection are still visible in the Recycle Bin properties. And Norton unerase isn't even in stalled, although it does appear as an option in the context menu. So, I don't know if that's related or not.

A

Alex Nichol

Worf21 said:
I have two hard drives in my system, so a C:\ and a D:\. Now I installed XP PRO over Win 98 and it caused a problem with both recycle bins for both drives to where they are now always folder icons, but seen to have recycle bins inside these folders. The folders have the original names of the bin, but the ones inside which have the recycle bin icons are really long names for example

The recycle bin on an NTFS drive is not the old RECYCLED of FAT 32, but
a folder Recycler. This contains a subfolder for each user account
(using those long SID identifiers that are unique to an account), so as
to hold and display only the files *that* user has deleted, and not
allow him to play around with those deleted by others

J

JimNC

I have this problem also. No files show in the recycle bin. The "Do not move
files to the Recycle Bin in un-ticked.

When I delete a file or folder and then open the recycle bin, the files &
folders show for about 2 seconds then go away. I've live with this problem
since I purchased an XP pc shortly after XP was released.

I've deleted info2 file many times and even the recycled folder and
restarted. Sometimes it works, but then I check in a few days and it's
broken again.

It is annoying and I would like to have a fix.

Jim /*

WebApp3 Hosting
http://www.advanceddesignsinc.com/Web Hosting.htm

G

Well, that's great, but the problem still remains of not being able to have the regular recycle bins on both drives to empty the recycle bin at my convenience. I have to scroll down to the one all the way at the bottom in Windows Explorer each time. The folder completely replaces the regular bins for each drive, they wont even coexist. There's got to be a way to either delete the folder version and make a completely viable bin that will continue to work after restarting or at the very least make bins that will coexist and at least let you see the files in the bin and allow the empty the recycle bin option in the context menu. Any thought's on a solution.

Ask a Question