    the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
    a way around this?

    Danforth

    Danforth France, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Danforth France

    Dave Patrick Guest

    If you can logon normally then reset it. Else you're likely out of luck.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

    Dave Patrick, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Danforth France

    Ray at Guest

    Leave it blank if that's what the administrator account's password is.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Danforth France

    Ray at Guest

    Are you saying you cannot enter the recovery console if you have just the
    default admin account and you have a blank password for it? Nice! I'll
    file that away as reason #234934 to NEVER have blank passwords.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Danforth France

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Nope, didn't say that. You need to *know* the password (blank or otherwise)
    for the local administrator account in order to start the recovery console.
    In other words I guess if you didn't know it was blank and also didn't try
    blank (typing random characters) then you would not get there. I guess I
    assumed the op did try the enter key probably more than once.

    Dave Patrick, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Logon to Win2000 with your alternative admin account, then reset
    the password for the primary admin account. Lastly, store the
    details for both account in a safe place - they are the master keys
    to your system!

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Dec 17, 2003
  7. On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:38:08 -0700, "Dave Patrick"
    <> wrote:

    > If you can logon normally then reset it. Else you're likely out of luck.

    Nonsense!

    There is a Linux boot disk that will let you reset the administrator
    password on an NT/Win2K system.

    Go to
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    and get this utility that will reset the admin password for you. Works
    great! And it's FREE!!!

    resident cynic, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Danforth France

    Sparker9 Guest

    You can bypass this prompt with a change in the Local Security Settings (Administrative Tools).

    Look under Local Policies | Security Options. Enable this > Recovery Console: Allow automatic administrative logon

    --
    Snarky Parker
    .......Please respond to newsgroup only (e-mail is blocked)

    "Danforth France" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm trying to run Recovery Console on my Windows 2000 and it asks me
    > for the Administrator's password and I have no idea what it is. I am
    > the administrator, but I haven't used that password in years. Is there
    > a way around this?
    >
    > Danforth

    ---

    Sparker9, Dec 18, 2003