Recovery Console For XP Will Not Work on XP MCE 2005

M

Maurice N ~ MVP

Hello C & C,
I've read over your other post. I'm a bit unclear on some things.
But first, understand that Recovery Console will not bring up your Windows o.s.
The recovery console is a special command mode environment with limited commands that you can use.

I'm a bit baffled as to how you even got beyond the prompt to login with Administrator account.

With Windows MCE running, go into Group Policy Editor (RUN >gpedit.msc). Navigate the following under Local Computer Policy:
Computer Configuration >Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security options.

On right panel, scroll it down to Recovery console. ENABLE Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders

When you are in Recovery Console --- generally, you need to insure that CAPS Lock key is OFF.
If you use numbers on numeric keypad, you need to have Num Lock ON. (pretty much same as on standard Windows).
Be sure you type in account & password correctly.

Now then, getting Recovery Console up and logging in (use 'Administrator' account).
(it should be rare, but if your Admin account never had a password, tap enter key when prompted).

Set pc BIOS boot sequence to boot first from CDROM. Put o.s. CD in drive. Boot from o.s. CD. Get into Recovery Console. It is the second option line on the XP CD main menu: it will say (on screen Welcome To Setup) :
"To repair a Windows XP installation using "Recovery Console" press R .

Login to XP with administrator password.

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/kb/307654

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

At finish, remove CD, restore boot sequence in BIOS, and carefully try Windows login.

Ask a Question