    Anyone have any clues on how to use a different account
    that's an Admin account for the recovery console?
    Kurt

    Kurt, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Kurt

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Kurt

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi

    Try leaving the password blank.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Will Denny, Jun 28, 2004
  4. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308402
    'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery
    Console in Windows XP

    Kaylene aka Taurarian, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Kurt

    Carrie Garth Guest

    | "Kurt" <>
    | wrote in message news:21b2e01c45cbb$1e9ad5c0$
    | I am trying to run the Recovery Console from CD ROM. It
    | finds the right partition, but when I select it, it asks
    | for the Admin Password. UNfortunately, I'm almost 100%
    | certain I disabled the Admin account (for security
    | purposes) so I cannot type in the "right" password. <SNIP>

    If by writing "I disabled the Admin account" you mean you
    used secpol.msc (or equivalent) to configure:

    Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options |
    Accounts: Administrator account status: Disabled

    Then...

    Disabling the local built-in Administrator account does not
    prevent you from logging on to the recovery console as
    Administrator. Additionally, you are not prevented from
    logging on as Administrator in Safe mode and using
    lusrmgr.msc to re-enable the account.

    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge
    Base article:

    KB814777 - HOW TO: Access the Computer After You
    Disable the Administrator Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;814777

    Note: Even though Windows XP is not listed in the "applies
    to:" section, I just tested it on my Windows XP Professional
    computer and it does indeed apply.

    Test Steps:

    secpol.msc | Local Policies | Security Options
    Accounts: Administrator account status:
    Disabled

    Log Off, try to logon on as the built-in Administrator, and I
    got the following Logon Message:

    Your account has been disabled. Please see your
    system administrator.

    Reboot to the Recovery Console and I was able to logon as
    the built-in Administrator.

    Reboot into Safe Mode and I was able to logon as the built-in
    Administrator. Furthermore, I was able to re-enable the
    Administrator account as described in KB814777.

    Carrie Garth, Jun 28, 2004