Recovering Hotmail Contacts Deleted by Synch

Anonymous

Being the genius that I am, I did the following. I was trying to
export my address book on Hotmail to a local .wab or .csv

1. I set up address book synchronization between outlook and hotmail.
2. I synched and all the contacts from hotmail were sucessfully
downloaded to my outlook addressbook.
3. I noticed that a few email addresses that had been in the Outlook
address book before the synch were still there, and the addressbook
now contained a mixture of Hotmail contacts and old outlook contacts.
So, I deleted everything from the the Outlook addressbook, and hit
synch again expecting that Hotmail would re-download all its contacts
to my outlook address book.
4. Instead, hotmail deleted all ITS contacts, such that all the
contacts are neither on the Hotmail server nor in Outlook.

I believe this means I'm out of luck and that many many contacts are
gone for good. Is there anything I can do?

I've checked for the ~ file and the .wa~ file, but since the hotmail
contacts were in Outlook only for a second, I find not surprisingly
that the backups don't contain anything from hotmail.

Is there any way I can restore the contacts? Does hotmail somehow
make backups?

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Are you even talking about Outlook?
Outlook does not use an address book.
Clarify what you did and your actual versions.

Hackersoft

Outlook has it's contacts list Russ and with the Outlook connector for MSN
you can sync back and forth between your MSN or hotmail accounts.
Therefore this situation is in fact very probable.
Unfortunately I think that there is very little in the way of recovery from
it as the connector syncs both ways. If you delete a 'contact' within
outlook it will also delete on the server side as well.

Colin Brown [375830]

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine said:
Are you even talking about Outlook?
Outlook does not use an address book.
Clarify what you did and your actual versions.

Strictly speaking, it's Outlook Express 5-- but it's really more of a
hotmail issue than an outlook issue, so I thought i'd post here too.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Anonymous said:
[...]

Not quite sure why you take such great exception to the need to clarify the
post, but your little tirade did nothing to help. There are several reasons
the post needs to be clarified:
1. Even a cursory review of the posts in this group would reveal that in
fact Outlook does not use an address book or store address book information
in a separate file. The Address Book is merely a dynamic view of the
Contacts Folder. Moreover, you cannot add or edit Contacts data from within
the address book interface. Therefore the description is not consistent with
Outlook and suggests the OP is using some other unrelated program, such as
Outlook Express. Hence my question.
2. Outlook does not natively contain a synchronization utility with hotmail.
Other programs do and MSN 9 does. Hence the need to understand more
precisely what was done and with what versions.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

yet another of "sandy's kids" here at her behest;

let's see:
the mvNOTpee-outlook opens by demeaning the OP with:

"are you even talking about Outlook?"
"OL does not use an address book"
(really?....why then does it say "address book" in the hover over ID?)
(oh, I get it...."real" mvNOTpees know that it's not really an "address
book" (like it says when it says "address book" it's really a super secret
file that only mvNOTpees have access to and when it says "address book" in
the help thing/hover over that's only intended to confuse those who don't
suck up to the sandy wannabees squad so they can maintain their mvNOTpee
status)...or....maybe it's not all that complicated and in fact it DOES say
"address book" (kind of like it shows here)...or, maybe we can obfuscate it
with ("but, if, it really was an address book then it would be a *.wab file
<bg> (it's coming...trust me)

(really sad that you guys just keep marching to the pied piperette....and
making fools of yourselves....sadder still that you've allowed yourselves to
destroy what used to be a well respected (and earned) group.

hopefully, the newbies (at least some of them) will take the time to
question the ethics of at least some (sadly, now most) of those that put
their "titles" above their efforts.
In days past, the ratio was 90 out of 100 on this NG of folks willing to
help just because they enjoyed doing so.....today it's the reverse....10 out
of 100 (if I really stretch it...probably more like 3)

hey....that's where msn has gone....if you're happy sending them your
$/month so be it.
Sadly....what was once a NG with scores of individuals willing to help just
because they enjoyed it, is now down to one or two and falling fast.....
.....tell you something?

you really ought to be ashamed.

"...clarify what you did and your actual versions"

you really are a pompous sob

the OP is "even talking" about OL;
according to the XP hover over, it is an "address book"; and,
one would expect an mv(NOT)pee (even one that takes it upon him/herself to
post with the sig in a NG that has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH his/her
area of expertise (which apparently, he/she has some severe handicaps to
begin with) to be able to deal with an OP's question in a more reasonable
fashion than "...are you even talking about OL?"

did you even bother to read the question or are you just (despite your
medal) unfamiliar with the fact that OL does, in fact, label the contact
list as "address book" (and has, for years, used/misused, the terms)

--
val
micro$oft {dot.NOT.dot.NET.dot.NEVER} - mvp (since 1950)

Are you even talking about Outlook?
Outlook does not use an address book.
Clarify what you did and your actual versions.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I rest my case.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Anonymous said:
[...]

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Don't worry about Val; he seems to have failed to spot the cross-posting ;o)

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure advice remains current
Do NOT send me an email. I will NOT see it (thank the spammers and viruses)

[...]
message rv'

[...]

I'm afraid you're out of luck :(

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure advice remains current
Do NOT send me an email. I will NOT see it (thank the spammers and viruses)
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE/OE)
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

So I gathered. And Outlook.Contacts was even the first post.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]