Recovering fax addresses (and messages) after Windows reinstallation.

Strixbubo

Hello,

Because of multiple problems I had to reinstall Windows XP (home).
Before starting the procedure I took a copy of all directories,
including program files and Windows, on a (big) external USB hard disk.

Now after reinstalling the Windows XP fax program, I would like to
recover my fax addresses, and if possible the sent and received
messages, but I don't know where these files are, under which names and
exactly what to do.

Can anybody help ? Thanks if you can.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Neither could we. Which address book did you configure Windows XP Fax to
use?

Archived faxes are stored here:
<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\MSFax\

Strixbubo

Russ said:
Neither could we. Which address book did you configure Windows XP Fax to
use?

None. I don't use Outlook. I wrote my fax phone numbers and the names in
the address list provided by MS fax.

If only I knew how MS fax names that address book by default when no
other address book is selected ...
Archived faxes are stored here:
<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\MSFax\

Not on my computer. I have looked into the old documents and settings,
and neither there no anywhere else could I find a subdirectory named MSFax.

Because of multiple problems I had to reinstall Windows XP (home).
Before starting the procedure I took a copy of all directories,
including program files and Windows, on a (big) external USB hard disk.

Now after reinstalling the Windows XP fax program, I would like to
recover my fax addresses, and if possible the sent and received
messages, but I don't know where these files are, under which names and
exactly what to do.

Can anybody help ? Thanks if you can. ) (end of original message)

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

MSFax has no address book utility. It uses whatever default you set for your
operating system. You know that. We don't. If you made no changes, then it
was using the Windows Address Book so look for a WAB file.

There is no other place Windows XP Fax archives faxes. Only you could know
why yours disappeared.

Strixbubo

Russ said:
MSFax has no address book utility. It uses whatever default you set for your
operating system. You know that. We don't. If you made no changes, then it
was using the Windows Address Book so look for a WAB file.

Thanks. I found one single wab file on my archived hard disk, named
"myname.wab" in documents and settings\(myname)\application
data\microsoft\address book. I assume or hope my old addresses are there.

Interesting perhaps, neither the Windows search nor Total commander had
found any wab file. I was almost losing hope, then tried Xyplorer. It
found the file and rather fast...

However when I open MS fax, I see no option allowing to access a given
address book. So I am still stuck....

-- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Strixbubo said:
[...]

Your question is for OE. Fax is not in play here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

[...]

strixbubo

Your question is for OE. Fax is not in play here.

Your answer, maybe, but my question is indeed about fax. I don't use
Outlook.
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Strixbubo said:
Russ said:
[...]

What part of my answer do you not understand? I never said you use Outlook.
You do use Outlook Express however since you now know that it provides the
default address book service for fax. If you have a question about how to
migrate WAB data, you ask in an Outlook Express group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Strixbubo said:
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
MSFax has no address book utility. It uses whatever default you set for
your operating system. You know that. We don't. If you made no changes,
then it was using the Windows Address Book so look for a WAB file.

Thanks. I found one single wab file on my archived hard disk, named
"myname.wab" in documents and settings\(myname)\application
data\microsoft\address book. I assume or hope my old addresses are
there.

Interesting perhaps, neither the Windows search nor Total commander had
found any wab file. I was almost losing hope, then tried Xyplorer. It
found the file and rather fast...

However when I open MS fax, I see no option allowing to access a given
address book. So I am still stuck....

There is no other place Windows XP Fax archives faxes. Only you could
know why yours disappeared.

-- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Strixbubo" <[email protected]>