ReconstructMe free real-time 3D reconstruction software

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to folk with a 3D printer or a Kinect v1 for Windows Kinect v1 for xBox 360.

http://reconstructme.net/qa_faqs/how-do-i-create-a-3d-selfie/

ReconstructMe is a powerful 3D real-time scanning system – plus it is simple to use and free.

ReconstructMe’s usage concept is similar to that of an ordinary video camera – simply move around the object to be modelled in 3D. Scanning with ReconstructMe scales from smaller objects such as human faces up to entire rooms and runs on commodity computer hardware.

There is a spiffy new feature ,

ReconstructMe extends the selfie idea to 3D. Using the self-portrait feature in ReconstructMe, everyone can generate 3D printable busts in a minute. Below is good example of an 3D self-portrait outcome without any manual postprocessing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very clever! I've seen apps like this for phones, but they don't work very well. I guess the stereo Kinect camera will work much better :).

I don't have a Kinect or XBOX, but I'll see if I can try this and 3D print something I've scanned, next time I'm somewhere with one of these cameras. Must of my friends either have PS4s or PCs, but I'm sure one of them will have a Kinect that I can try :D.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Ian Supports all of these sensors too.

ReconstructMe already supports a variety of commodity 3D cameras and we are working hard on integrating new and exotic ones as soon as we take notice of them. We felt it is about time to put details into perspective. Therefore we are kicking off a camera review series to cover sensor specifications, installation instructions and more.

Intel
RealSense R200
RealSense F200
Orbbec
Astra S
Astra L
Asus
Asus Xtion Pro
Asus Xtion Pro Live
Microsoft
Kinect v1 for Windows
Kinect v1 for xBox 360