Recommended Buys - Advice Needed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I am currently planning a new section on the site with some recommended buys for different system components. There are loads of questions on the forum such as "which motherboard should I get for XXXX CPU" etc... so I thought it would be a good idea to take recommendations to construct a list.

This will include Graphics Cards, Motherboards, CPUs etc...

Hopefully this will be of use to everyone, and I'll keep it updated as things change.

Any Suggestions for things to include? :) I've got my own ideas, but any specific recommendations would be appreciated!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... I'll still buy what I know and trust.

Maybe "suggest" based on personal experience ... people are quick to 'support' something because they "read something" somewhere that you could maybe get 20 marks better this or that by soldering a wire here and then ...

I'm too old for this game ... but I have a lot more time than I used too have and do a lot more reading ... there are some excellent "review" sites, but does anybody else do what I do, and look for "hands on" experience from people having problems with that latest and greatest thing.

I want Reliability, I want Longativity, I want Phone Support and I want it in PLANE ENGLISH

Intel (as an example) don't 'arf cheat with their stupid numbers game you have to be a 'private eye' to find out what the "true" speed is ... quad pumped crap ... why not just call it a 133Mhz bloody CPU 'cos that’s all a 533 is. And yes, I know AMD do a similar naming, but at least you can buy ONE MB and have several CPUs work with it.

Hmmm, I'm ranting ... time for my pills and a liedown. :blush:

Ah hell ... go for it. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats the exact sort of basis for recommendations for good hardware that would be welcome to people! This list would be based on experience for reliable, stable and really good bits of kit. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just had a long hard think about this and was surprised at how little I would recommend without a doubt.

Boiled down to:

1) DFI Motherboards
2) Asus Motherboards
3) Crucial Memory
4) Lian Li Cases.
5) AMD CPU's over Intel.

And that, really, is about it. Everything else has either let me down at some stage or I haven't had hands on experience of it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, peripherals:

1) Logitech MX1000 Mouse
2) Logitech cordless Gamepad
3) Iiyama monitors
4) Logitech Speaker systems.

muckshifter

Reaction score
You missed out Software ... :p

Has SBS&D been 'fixed' yet ... can I try it out once more without it 'killing' my system?

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Has SBS&D been 'fixed' yet ... can I try it out once more without it 'killing' my system?

I only have it on my daughter's machine (she spends a lot of time on msn, need all protection I can get on that one) and it isn't throwing up the DS Exploit thingie anymore, if that's what you mean.

However, these days it rarely picks up anything after running Adaware, just the occasional nasty, unlike earlier, where it would often pick up things Adaware missed.

Either Adaware has got a whole lot better, or SBSAD is slacking.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Either Adaware has got a whole lot better, or SBSAD is slacking.

i think they both are lacking, i just ran the trend online spyware scan and found about 10 things wrong :mad:, i run adaware and spybot daily and neither found anything, you should give that a go

muckshifter

Reaction score
We do ... ;)

But Ad-Aware & SBS&D are free ... :rolleyes:

ME ... you would not believe the money I spend on 'buying' Spyware scanners, and I can assure you, (I wrote an article on it :p ), that both them two together will only offer up 45% "protection" ... I kind of get weary of repeating myself, but hey, my system has 95% protection, why should I care.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
When it comes to hands on experience, I can safely say I can contribute towards Laptops, digital cameras, audio related gear for computers and hifi.

Reaction score
The basic idea seems to be an excellent one and i would read and learn a lot from it.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... . but I have a lot more time than I used too have and do a lot more reading ... there are some excellent "review" sites, but does anybody else do what I do, and look for "hands on" experience from people having problems with that latest and greatest thing.

This is exactly why I buy almost all my stuff from newegg.com I'm not advertising them, I just love the fact that customers can and do! add their reviews for products they have just bought. Plus prices are always very competetive.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to try and make this page this weekend as it seems there are quite a few people asking for recommended buys :)

Ask a Question