Windows XP Receiving multiple copies of emails

Reaction score
In the last few months I have begun to receive multiple copies of emails - sometimes two copies, sometimes as many as SIX or EIGHT copies of the same email at a time. They come from different friends - almost all from identifiable and trusted sources. I have asked my ISP if they can identify a problem at their end but they say not.

Is it something to do with my settings or maybe my hardware?

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful. It is driving me crazy to look at my email and see that large number of emails are shown in the inbox and then to find that I have to delete most of them as they are duplications.

Thanks

Liz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Despite what your ISP says - this looks like a problem at their end to me
nod.gif

I don't know what email program you use, but there is no setting in Outlook or Outlook Express to download multiple copies of the same email, it will just download whatever is waiting on the ISP server - so there must be multiple copies of the same email on their server.

There is no way hardware can be to blame either.

Reaction score
Isp

Thanks for your quick response to my problem.

My ISP is nildram and they are denying responsibility but I wil get back to them now and insist that they do something about it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I think Ady's right.

I also get multiple e-mails from some sources, mostly on my gmail account for some reason.

Overclockers.co.uk (a UK computer parts supplier) always seem to want to send me 6 e-mails where one will do.

I honestly haven't a clue why this thing goes down, but thought I'd reply to let you know at least you ain't the only one ;)

Reaction score
Thanks - have emailed my ISP to ask them to pass my problem up the line until they find someone who does know how to sort it out. Will post their answer on this forum.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Floppy, tell OC to have another look at their IMail program ... it is known for that, it's a Windows product. :D

As for Liz, it may well not be her ISP but the sending ISP may be at fault. Ask your friends do do the same at their end and contact their ISPs ... it is possible a simular problem to IMail, though I don't think they will use that in the mail servers.

:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
One way to check is to see whats on the server prior to downloading.

Download the free version of Mailwasher HERE and set up your account details on it.

Then prior to downloading via Outlook etc, run Mailwasher and it will show you what emails are waiting for you on the server.

If there are multiple emails of the same one, then as Mucks says it could be coming from the sending persons ISP.
However if there is only one, and then you download via Outlook etc and you then get loads, it would indicate your ISP has a glitch in its sending.

The added bonus here is that Mailwasher is a great program for bouncing back spam/unwanted emails to the originator stating your email address doesn't exist ;)

Reaction score
Cant get rid of emails

Hi

I've just signed up so don't know if you ever got a solution to your email problem. I have a similar one that someone may be able to help with.
I currently have 4000 emails (I was on hols for a few months without pc access) but I can't get rid of them.
I have used Mailwasher to delete the mail from the server but as soon as I log back on to the mail client the same messages come back again. I've tried to remove the emails a few times now but no success. The ISP says its not their problem - of course its not!?
I'm using Win 98 and Outlook Express - ok - I know its MS and its old but...
Could the problem be a virus?
Marv

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To get the full weight of the forums behind you in finding a solution ... always start your own thread.

:thumb:

Ask a Question