receiving faxes and printing with Brothers MFC 240CN in Vista

MSwilley

I have a Brothers MFC 240CN and when receiving faxes it shows the states
page 1,2,3,4 and so on but nothing prints out. Also when I try to print
it says data receiving and then data remaining but nothing prints. I am
also useing Windows Vista if this helps with the problem.

Patrick C

Did you download the drivers for Vista? or get the Vista cdrom from Brother?
I downloaded the drivers but couldn't get the OCR software so had to order
the cd. Is that 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? Does it recieve and print faxes by
itself offline? Does the copy function work?

Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

In as much as Vista has nothing to do with your MFC240 other than to see it
as a printer, there isn't much we can help with. Vista Fax and Scan
(included with Vista Business and Ultimate) can only work with an analog fax
modem and cannot use the fax features of an MFC device for anything. The
only way you can use any fax features from within Vista or XP or Windows
2000 is if Brother included a driver to do it with. It looks like the
device, itself, has a problem.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)

MSwilley

'Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I said:
;718969']In as much as Vista has nothing to do with your MFC240 othe
than to see it
as a printer, there isn't much we can help with. Vista Fax and Scan
(included with Vista Business and Ultimate) can only work with a
analog fax
modem and cannot use the fax features of an MFC device for anything.
The
only way you can use any fax features from within Vista or XP o
Windows
2000 is if Brother included a driver to do it with. It looks like th

device, itself, has a problem.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
'KVOA News 4, Tucson, Arizona - Home' (http://www.kvoa.com) -- "Whe
News breaks, we fix it!"
Still Cadillacin' - 'The Bad News Blues Band - Official Site
(http://www.badnewsbluesband.com)

"MSwilley" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I have a Brothers MFC 240CN and when receiving faxes it shows th
states
page 1,2,3,4 and so on but nothing prints out. Also when I try t
print
it says data receiving and then data remaining but nothing prints.
am
also useing Windows Vista if this helps with the problem.

The problem was partly the machine and partly the drivers. I was wron
on model sorry it is a Brothers MFC 640CW and it came with Windows X
drivers not vista. I had to go to the Brothers sight and install th
vista driver. This partly fixed the printing problem.

The other issue was the data was being stored in memory because th
print was stuck on a print job. (not jammed) the actual memory thaugh
it was still printing a job so it would not process any more jobs.
tried cleaning out the memory and this didn't help. I also trie
setting back to factory settings but didn't work. Finally I contacte
Brother and they had me unplug the printer and hold down the stop/exi
button. Plug the printer back in while holding the stop/exit button an
continue to hold this button until the printer rebooted. This fixed al
the issues. Now I can print, fax, scan, and copy without problems.

Thank you for all your help

Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

You're very welcome, I'm glad you got it working! Thank you for posting
this update to the forum, it will help others.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)

MSwilley said:
'Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I said:
;718969']In as much as Vista has nothing to do with your MFC240 other
[...]

The problem was partly the machine and partly the drivers. I was wrong
on model sorry it is a Brothers MFC 640CW and it came with Windows XP
drivers not vista. I had to go to the Brothers sight and install the
vista driver. This partly fixed the printing problem.

The other issue was the data was being stored in memory because the
print was stuck on a print job. (not jammed) the actual memory thaught
it was still printing a job so it would not process any more jobs. I
tried cleaning out the memory and this didn't help. I also tried
setting back to factory settings but didn't work. Finally I contacted
Brother and they had me unplug the printer and hold down the stop/exit
button. Plug the printer back in while holding the stop/exit button and
continue to hold this button until the printer rebooted. This fixed all