Real Workaround for Excel Link Bug in 2007?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Powerpoint' started by Mark Olbert, Mar 9, 2008.

  1. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    I have a bunch of PP2007 docs that use -- try to use -- links to Excel 2007 workbooks...all of which reside on a Win2003 Server
    platform accessed via a mapped drive.

    This means I am intimately familiar, unfortunately, with a ridiculous bug in PP2007: it can't "remember" links to Excel docs on file
    servers (plus several other kinds of file-hosting environments, too).

    Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem? The one suggested in the one knowledgebase article I found on the subject
    would be funny if it weren't so stupid (basically, the official "workaround" is to recreate all the linked objects every time you
    re-open a powerpoint; hello, Microsoft, that sort of defeats the purpose of having linked documents!!).

    Failing that, does anyone know when this glaring (do any of the developers who write this stuff up in Redmond actually >>use<< the
    product??) bug is expected to be fixed?

    - Mark
     
    Mark Olbert, Mar 9, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. To verify what's going on here, what specific types of links is PPT losing?
    How exactly were they created?

    There are several ways of doing this and sometimes the exact path to success or failure is
    significant.

    I can repro this with text/numbers I copy from an Excel 2007 (SP1) worksheet then switch to PPT
    and PasteSpecial as Excel worksheet object. I'm on a Win2000 server using mapped drives, fwiw,
    so it's not a 2003-specific bug.

    When I save, close and reopen the file, I get a message to the effect that the link can't be
    updated; if I doubleclick the object, PPT tells me it can't find the file, which is patent
    nonsense (the same presentation contains charts that are linked from the same Excel file; it
    updates those w/o problems).

    If I examine the link information (using the Edit Links dialog box or a better tool that lets
    me see and edit each link) the link is correct.

    As a side issue, or perhaps it's a related lunacy, each Excel file I save to the server appears
    in the MRU list twice, once pointed at the mapped drive, once at the UNC path to the same file.

    I'm going to report this up the line; if you can fill in more details, send 'em along.


    In article <>, Mark Olbert wrote:
    > I have a bunch of PP2007 docs that use -- try to use -- links to Excel 2007 workbooks...all

    of which reside on a Win2003 Server
    > platform accessed via a mapped drive.
    >
    > This means I am intimately familiar, unfortunately, with a ridiculous bug in PP2007: it can't

    "remember" links to Excel docs on file
    > servers (plus several other kinds of file-hosting environments, too).
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem? The one suggested in the one

    knowledgebase article I found on the subject
    > would be funny if it weren't so stupid (basically, the official "workaround" is to recreate

    all the linked objects every time you
    > re-open a powerpoint; hello, Microsoft, that sort of defeats the purpose of having linked

    documents!!).
    >
    > Failing that, does anyone know when this glaring (do any of the developers who write this

    stuff up in Redmond actually >>use<< the
    > product??) bug is expected to be fixed?




    -----------------------------------------
    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    PPTools: www.pptools.com
    ================================================
     
    Steve Rindsberg, Mar 9, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. OK, repro'd and reported, at least for links to worksheet objects.

    > Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem?


    We have an addin called FixLinks that was able to fix this in a workaround sort of way.
    It can copy the linked Excel file to the same directory as the PPT and reset the links to point to
    the "local" copy of the Excel file.

    Yup, I know ... not exactly what you need, but at least it makes the links work.

    Unfortunately, the demo version of FixLinks won't let you test this yourself, but give me a shout;
    maybe we can work out some way of testing this against your files.

    steve at-sign pptools dot com

    Remind me that we "met" in the PowerPoint newsgroup.

    -----------------------------------------
    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    PPTools: www.pptools.com
    ================================================
     
    Steve Rindsberg, Mar 9, 2008
    #3
  4. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    Steve,

    Thanks for the quick replies. Copying the Excel file into the local directory wouldn't be a good tactic for me. But it makes me
    wonder if creating a link in the local directory would work?

    Regarding passing it the problem up the line, that'd be great. But it's already the subject of a knowledgebase article, so I suspect
    the folks up in Redmond know about it. I'm still >>amazed<< that they haven't fixed it yet. It's been over a year since product
    launch, and this strikes me as a pretty serious flaw.

    - Mark

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:28:46 EST, Steve Rindsberg <> wrote:

    >To verify what's going on here, what specific types of links is PPT losing?
    >How exactly were they created?
    >
    >There are several ways of doing this and sometimes the exact path to success or failure is
    >significant.
    >
    >I can repro this with text/numbers I copy from an Excel 2007 (SP1) worksheet then switch to PPT
    >and PasteSpecial as Excel worksheet object. I'm on a Win2000 server using mapped drives, fwiw,
    >so it's not a 2003-specific bug.
    >
    >When I save, close and reopen the file, I get a message to the effect that the link can't be
    >updated; if I doubleclick the object, PPT tells me it can't find the file, which is patent
    >nonsense (the same presentation contains charts that are linked from the same Excel file; it
    >updates those w/o problems).
    >
    >If I examine the link information (using the Edit Links dialog box or a better tool that lets
    >me see and edit each link) the link is correct.
    >
    >As a side issue, or perhaps it's a related lunacy, each Excel file I save to the server appears
    >in the MRU list twice, once pointed at the mapped drive, once at the UNC path to the same file.
    >
    >I'm going to report this up the line; if you can fill in more details, send 'em along.
    >
    >
    >In article <>, Mark Olbert wrote:
    >> I have a bunch of PP2007 docs that use -- try to use -- links to Excel 2007 workbooks...all

    >of which reside on a Win2003 Server
    >> platform accessed via a mapped drive.
    >>
    >> This means I am intimately familiar, unfortunately, with a ridiculous bug in PP2007: it can't

    >"remember" links to Excel docs on file
    >> servers (plus several other kinds of file-hosting environments, too).
    >>
    >> Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem? The one suggested in the one

    >knowledgebase article I found on the subject
    >> would be funny if it weren't so stupid (basically, the official "workaround" is to recreate

    >all the linked objects every time you
    >> re-open a powerpoint; hello, Microsoft, that sort of defeats the purpose of having linked

    >documents!!).
    >>
    >> Failing that, does anyone know when this glaring (do any of the developers who write this

    >stuff up in Redmond actually >>use<< the
    >> product??) bug is expected to be fixed?

    >
    >
    >
    >-----------------------------------------
    >Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    >PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    >PPTools: www.pptools.com
    >================================================
    >
     
    Mark Olbert, Mar 10, 2008
    #4
  5. In article <>, Mark Olbert wrote:
    > Steve,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick replies. Copying the Excel file into the local directory wouldn't be a good

    tactic for me. But it makes me
    > wonder if creating a link in the local directory would work?


    Wouldn't that be the same thing? Either way, you'd need the Excel file in the local directory.
    Or did you mean local HDD vs "the same directory as the PPT itself"? That'd make more sense. I
    suspect it might work.

    >
    > Regarding passing it the problem up the line, that'd be great. But it's already the subject of a

    knowledgebase article, so I suspect
    > the folks up in Redmond know about it. I'm still >>amazed<< that they haven't fixed it yet. It's

    been over a year since product
    > launch, and this strikes me as a pretty serious flaw.


    There are flaws I gave up complaining about after ten years ... sometimes they just don't get around
    to it. But I doubt this'll turn into one of those.

    Just speculating here, but since Excel is behaving oddly WRT mapped/UNC files in any case (the
    double entries on the MRU list), its' possible that the problem is at the Excel end.
    Interoperability problems may take longer to fix than straight bugs,no chaser situations. I'm
    guessing it's hard for the PPT team to get the Excel team to rewrite something that may not affect
    Excel.

    Hmmm. Can you repro the same situation with links from one Excel file to another? That might get
    things moving faster. <g>



    >
    > - Mark
    >
    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:28:46 EST, Steve Rindsberg <> wrote:
    >
    > >To verify what's going on here, what specific types of links is PPT losing?
    > >How exactly were they created?
    > >
    > >There are several ways of doing this and sometimes the exact path to success or failure is
    > >significant.
    > >
    > >I can repro this with text/numbers I copy from an Excel 2007 (SP1) worksheet then switch to PPT
    > >and PasteSpecial as Excel worksheet object. I'm on a Win2000 server using mapped drives, fwiw,
    > >so it's not a 2003-specific bug.
    > >
    > >When I save, close and reopen the file, I get a message to the effect that the link can't be
    > >updated; if I doubleclick the object, PPT tells me it can't find the file, which is patent
    > >nonsense (the same presentation contains charts that are linked from the same Excel file; it
    > >updates those w/o problems).
    > >
    > >If I examine the link information (using the Edit Links dialog box or a better tool that lets
    > >me see and edit each link) the link is correct.
    > >
    > >As a side issue, or perhaps it's a related lunacy, each Excel file I save to the server appears
    > >in the MRU list twice, once pointed at the mapped drive, once at the UNC path to the same file.
    > >
    > >I'm going to report this up the line; if you can fill in more details, send 'em along.
    > >
    > >
    > >In article <>, Mark Olbert wrote:
    > >> I have a bunch of PP2007 docs that use -- try to use -- links to Excel 2007 workbooks...all

    > >of which reside on a Win2003 Server
    > >> platform accessed via a mapped drive.
    > >>
    > >> This means I am intimately familiar, unfortunately, with a ridiculous bug in PP2007: it can't

    > >"remember" links to Excel docs on file
    > >> servers (plus several other kinds of file-hosting environments, too).
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem? The one suggested in the one

    > >knowledgebase article I found on the subject
    > >> would be funny if it weren't so stupid (basically, the official "workaround" is to recreate

    > >all the linked objects every time you
    > >> re-open a powerpoint; hello, Microsoft, that sort of defeats the purpose of having linked

    > >documents!!).
    > >>
    > >> Failing that, does anyone know when this glaring (do any of the developers who write this

    > >stuff up in Redmond actually >>use<< the
    > >> product??) bug is expected to be fixed?

    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >-----------------------------------------
    > >Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    > >PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    > >PPTools: www.pptools.com
    > >================================================
    > >

    >


    -----------------------------------------
    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    PPTools: www.pptools.com
    ================================================
     
    Steve Rindsberg, Mar 11, 2008
    #5
  6. Mark Olbert

    casey Guest

    Steve/Mark,

    Has there been any resolution to this problem yet? I just posted today with
    what seems to be my problem exactly.

    Thanks,
    casey

    "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

    > OK, repro'd and reported, at least for links to worksheet objects.
    >
    > > Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem?

    >
    > We have an addin called FixLinks that was able to fix this in a workaround sort of way.
    > It can copy the linked Excel file to the same directory as the PPT and reset the links to point to
    > the "local" copy of the Excel file.
    >
    > Yup, I know ... not exactly what you need, but at least it makes the links work.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the demo version of FixLinks won't let you test this yourself, but give me a shout;
    > maybe we can work out some way of testing this against your files.
    >
    > steve at-sign pptools dot com
    >
    > Remind me that we "met" in the PowerPoint newsgroup.
    >
    > -----------------------------------------
    > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    > PPTools: www.pptools.com
    > ================================================
    >
    >
    >
     
    casey, Mar 27, 2008
    #6
  7. Mark Olbert

    casey Guest

    A follow-up to my last. And maybe you actually said this, but I relocated my
    files off of our Server2003 to my local drive. It now works.

    casey

    "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

    > OK, repro'd and reported, at least for links to worksheet objects.
    >
    > > Has anyone come up with a workaround to this problem?

    >
    > We have an addin called FixLinks that was able to fix this in a workaround sort of way.
    > It can copy the linked Excel file to the same directory as the PPT and reset the links to point to
    > the "local" copy of the Excel file.
    >
    > Yup, I know ... not exactly what you need, but at least it makes the links work.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the demo version of FixLinks won't let you test this yourself, but give me a shout;
    > maybe we can work out some way of testing this against your files.
    >
    > steve at-sign pptools dot com
    >
    > Remind me that we "met" in the PowerPoint newsgroup.
    >
    > -----------------------------------------
    > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    > PPTools: www.pptools.com
    > ================================================
    >
    >
    >
     
    casey, Mar 27, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. nhaims
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    197
    Geetesh Bajaj
    Jul 29, 2004
  2. KR

    Need workaround for PPT Kiosk mode over IE

    KR, Nov 1, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Powerpoint
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    321
    Steve Rindsberg
    Nov 2, 2004
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    824
    Geetesh Bajaj
    Aug 30, 2007
  4. JFO

    Powerpoint 2007 link bug

    JFO, Sep 8, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Powerpoint
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    147
  5. Christine

    Pattern Fills in Bar Graphs - Workaround!

    Christine, Feb 26, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Powerpoint
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    414
    Echo S
    Feb 27, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page