Real email address in forums etc

antioch

Hello All
Craig in 'How to kill spam' mentioned something which many months ago I had
put to the back of my mind (yeah yeah it didn't have to go very far)
I have noticed that I see some email addresses in some postings. I have
seen mine, but not in all postings.
I have seen emails with the obvious disguise i.e
(e-mail address removed).
I know it is common practice in MS discussion groups etc.
But how do you do it. It must be a simple thing to do, cos despite a past
and recent search in MS help, I found nothing!
Is it me, the ISP, or that worm - its all very slow tonight?
Rgds
Antioch
'You cant educate pork' - a step back I think

Ted Zieglar

Depends on how you access newsgroups. For example, in Outlook Express go to
Tools > Accounts > select your news account and click Properties > General
tab (the first one) > E-mail address > type whatever you want.

antioch

Hello Ted
You were onto this one quick.
I would have replied as quick but the phone rang.
Thanks for the info - I thought it would be stupidly simple.
Funny you should ask though - yep I use O.E. ;-)
Thank you again - it is done.
Rgds
Antioch
P.S. I do keep trying - honest.

Wesley Vogel

Funny you should ask though - yep I use O.E. ;-)

No need to ask.

From your message header (Ctrl + F3)....

From: "antioch" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Real email address in forums etc
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:33:07 -0000

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Richard Urban

The thing is - you should do it to an email address "before" you ever post
to any forums. Your email address has already been harvested and you will be
getting a lot more spam.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Vanguard

antioch said:
Hello Ted
You were onto this one quick.
I would have replied as quick but the phone rang.
Thanks for the info - I thought it would be stupidly simple.
Funny you should ask though - yep I use O.E. ;-)
Thank you again - it is done.
Rgds
Antioch
P.S. I do keep trying - honest.

Remember to munge the *domain* (and optionally munge the username, too).
Remember that in providing an e-mail address with a valid domain that you
are energizing spam gets directed to that valid domain. So help out the
e-mail providers by not energizing spam to target their domain. If the spam
never makes it to their domain, they don't have to waste any resources
handling it. First munge the domain so that spam can't find the domain to
even attempt delivery.

When you munge the domain, check that it doesn't actually exist. Even if it
is registered but no site currently uses it, it may get used later. Rather
than munge your e-mail address (assuming you even want to divulge one) as
(e-mail address removed), you should use
(e-mail address removed) (hyphens are used because
underscores aren't allowed in domain names, so a spambot may decide to
auto-strip anything between illegal characters in a domain). You could
optionally also munge your username but a single munge is usually
sufficient.

It may be possible to not even use an e-mail address. Some NNTP servers
will accept a post without an e-mail address in the From header (so you can
put any string you want in that header). Some do require a string that is
syntaxed like an e-mail address but may only be looking for
(e-mail address removed) so you could put anything you want in any string. In
that case, and if you aren't interested in ever taking newsgroup discussions
offline via e-mail, you could use something like (e-mail address removed)
or (e-mail address removed) which are special in that mail cannot be delivered
to them; however, some NNTP servers won't let you use those special .invalid
TLD (top-level domain) or the example.com domain so you need to use another
string (but hopefully doesn't point at an existing domain, registered or
not).

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

You might also consider creating and using a special account that is used
only to submit posts (provided you want to show an e-mail address, munged or
not, or that your NNTP server requires something that looks like an e-mail
address). Although you munge your e-mail address, there are trolls or
pueriles that will unmunge your e-mail address and post it. Most times
their action is ineffective because rare few spambots read the body of the
posts. If you use a special e-mail account that lets you define server-side
rules, you can check for the presence of a magic string or passcode in, say,
the Subject header. If it isn't there, their message gets automatically
deleted upon delivery because the server-side rule is always active. You
can also change the passcode whenever you want. In that case, with the
server-side rule, you don't even have to bother munging your e-mail address.
The spambots don't read the body of posts or, for those that do, they don't
know how to follow instructions, so the spammer never gets the instruction
to add the passcode to the Subject header. So anyone that unmunges your
e-mail address and tries to expose it to spambots still won't result in you
getting more spam (the domain will get it but your rule deletes it). The
spammer's list only has the e-mail address that the malcontent unmunged in
their post. It does require that good senders include the passcode but they
are already asked to unmunge your e-mail address so it isn't much more
effort to request. It does, however, require that you maintain a separate
account used just for newsgroup posts. Of couse, if you don't even provide
an e-mail address then spam won't ever reach your Inbox.

At one time, I used to use an unmunged e-mail address in my posts to
eliminate the hassle by any good sender in having to do any editing (because
some e-mail client don't let you edit the string but instead wipe it out
when you attempt to edit it and the user has to manually enter the whole
string). However, that means my e-mail provider's domain will get targeted
by spam that was energized by divuling an unmunged domain in my posts. So I
add the munge to the domain portion of my e-mail address only to help out my
e-mail provider. While it assists in eliminating spam, the server-side
passcode rule ensures spam gets obliterated on delivery. It is almost as
effective as, say, Hotmail's "exclusive mode" where the only mails that you
accept must be from senders in your address book. With this rule, you
accept only mails where the sender added the passcode, and that won't be in
spam (spammers want their own Subject line, not one that has whatever you
want, and they won't get the information to tell them to add it).

PA Bear

OE Accounts > News > [account] > Properties > "Munge" both email addresses
in this tab.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Michael Stevens

In
antioch said:
Hello All
Craig in 'How to kill spam' mentioned something which many months ago
I had put to the back of my mind (yeah yeah it didn't have to go very
far) I have noticed that I see some email addresses in some postings. I
have seen mine, but not in all postings.
I have seen emails with the obvious disguise i.e
(e-mail address removed).
I know it is common practice in MS discussion groups etc.
But how do you do it. It must be a simple thing to do, cos despite a
past and recent search in MS help, I found nothing!
Is it me, the ISP, or that worm - its all very slow tonight?
Rgds
Antioch
'You cant educate pork' - a step back I think

See the link in my signature.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

antioch

Hello Wesley
Not too sure what I am supposed to be reading/learning from your response,
despite my ability to solve cryptic crosswords.
Its too cryptographic for me. Sorry but thanks for your input.
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Hello Richard
Yes I know I have let the horse out of the stable - who doesnt.
But as yet, dare I say it, for the last 3 years of access to the net etc I
have not been the subject of getting 'spam'.
I know I will regret saying that!!
I see you use a simple form of 'mungle'(is that the term).
Has it worked for you then.
Or should I get more complicated as per advice from Vanguard.
I did use a mungled email address when in the MS Discussion groups, before
coming over to the newreader newsgroups system.
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Hello Vanguard
Thank you for your dissertation.
Not too certain even after three readings that I fully comprehended
everything.
My obs are spliced within.

Remember to munge the *domain* (and optionally munge the username, too).
Remember that in providing an e-mail address with a valid domain that you
are energizing spam gets directed to that valid domain. So help out the
e-mail providers by not energizing spam to target their domain. If the
spam never makes it to their domain, they don't have to waste any
resources handling it. First munge the domain so that spam can't find the
domain to even attempt delivery.

So my current choice is a bit inadequate, right?
When you munge the domain, check that it doesn't actually exist. Even if
it is registered but no site currently uses it, it may get used later.
Rather than munge your e-mail address (assuming you even want to divulge
one) as (e-mail address removed), you should use
(e-mail address removed) (hyphens are used because
underscores aren't allowed in domain names, so a spambot may decide to
auto-strip anything between illegal characters in a domain). You could
optionally also munge your username but a single munge is usually
sufficient.

I tried to add a munged new account with my ISP - they do not allow hyphens
but accept underscores! & these\\\\ ....and others.
E.G. this would be better then?
(e-mail address removed)
[...]

Do you need one in this newsgroup?
I think I get the drift of the rest of the above para.
I have gone off-line via email in that 'other' discussion group and in a
forum, to go through a certain difficult procedure step-by-step.
[...]

I will have to read the above a few more times - sorry.
Let me add that my ISP does a very good job at stopping/holding suspect spam
at source - this is configurational to one's own preference - I go in and
have a look at these held messages once a week - if I dont, then they are
auto-deleted by them.
This seems similar to what you say in the para below.
[...]

Am I to assume correctly that as far as discussion/news/forums/groups etc,
it is most prudent to munge, but for private mail etc it is not and in any
case can be a big inconvenience for genuine senders of mail to oneself? Or
have I learned nothing from what you have said?
I hope others have read this post and gained from your detailed explanation
re munging. I thank you for the time and trouble you have put into this
help.
Rgds
Antioch - one more step upwards!
P.S.
One thing I have noticed is that when one replies, if you right click on the
post and click on reply to group as opposed to a double left click, the
windows obtained are laid out differently!!!

antioch

Hello PA Bear
Yes, I know, I should have posted in the below groups - I do in the
wishlist.
But my excuse is that the subject was raised in another recent post in this
group.
Am I forgiven????
Rgds
Antioch

PA Bear said:
[...]

Hello Michael
I fink I do - remove the munge and I get;
(e-mail address removed)
That was easy - now I have your genuine email address!
Try me with a more complicated one.
Oh no - Ive just seen another email address for you :-( - I give up.
Joking apart - thanks for the example
Rgds
Antioch

Wesley Vogel

Antioch,

I was merely pointing out that some do not have to ask what someone is using
for a newsreader.

For any message, news or mail:
Highlight the message
Right click
Properties
Details tab
You can quit there or click the Message Source button
or
Highlight the message
Hitting Ctrl + F3 brings up Message Source

Message Source reveals such things as the newsreader and Time Zone (-0000).

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Richard Urban

I still get some spam, only because I have used my email address to "apply"
for a few services over the web. But I also use Mailwasher, which catches
100% of it, before I ever download the valid emails to my computer.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

antioch

Hello Wesley
Now I've got you. Understood.
I had no idea there was that amount of info just a couple of clicks away.
Is this where spammers get their info - its frightening.
You continue to improve my mind
Rgds
Antioch

antioch

Hello Richard
WOOPS - services???-say no more ;-) ;-) - i just use to but 'objects &
things'
I have seen Mailwasher mentioned a few times - so do you recon its a good
thing to have as well as my ISP's own form of censorship for the spam?
Rgds
Antioch

Richard Urban

It has worked for me for four years now.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

antioch

Hello Richard
I will give it a try then - good to have a backup with some things.
Thank you
Rgds
Antioch

Joan Archer

I don't know if there still is but there was a free version of Mailwasher
but that would only monitor one account, that's why I bought the program
as I have about 5 to check.

If they still have the free version you could try it out to see what you
think of it.
Joan