ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive

KeepSloanWeird

Two weeks ago I reloaded Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on a Dell Latitude D620.
The only significant change in the system is that I enabled BitLocker
encryption.

Before reloading the OS I was using ReadyBoost on a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer
Titanium. Since the reload I've noticed that the ReadyBoost.sfcache file
will disappear after a while. The time between enabling ReadyBoost and the
cache file disappearing hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it's almost
immediate earlier today it took an hour.

As far as troubleshooting goes:
- tried switching USB ports
- disabled RB, rebooted, and re-enabled
- full-format and chkdsk of the Cruzer

So far nothing. As I'm typing this out I realize that I haven't tried a
different flash drive and will here shortly.

But has anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas on a cause?

AJR

Just a hunch here - The type of Read/Writes (sequential versus
non-sequential) to the HD is one of the factors that determine use of the
ReadyBoost device - Superfetch prefers the HD dor sequential stuff and the
ReadyBoost device for non-sequential.

It may be that with an external device attached Superfetch "hides" the
ache - and utilizes it when a device is not attached. Time related to type
of HD action?

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

From the problem description of the post you submitted, my understanding
is: the ReadyBoost.sfcache file in the SanDisk Cruzer Titanium will
disappear by itself. If I have misunderstood about your concern, feel free
to let me know.

Based on my experience, this behavior may occur when the ReadyBoost service
is unexpectedly stopped. In order to avoid the software conflict, I suggest
we test the issue in the Clean Boot environment. Please refer to the
following steps:

Test the issue in the Clean Boot environment
===================================
Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This
method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program
or service. Please perform the following steps:
1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the
Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC)
window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box
and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window
appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System
Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

After that, please check if the ReadyBoost.sfcache file will still
disappear by its own. However, if the ReadyBoost.sfcache file still
disappear, I suggest we manually verify if the ReadyBoost service is
stopped at that point. Please refer to the following steps:

Manually verify the ReadyBoost service
==================================
1. Click Start, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Start
search bar and then press Enter.
2. Double click the service "ReadyBoost".
3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account"
is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is
unchecked.
4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile.
If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic"
and then check if the Service is currently "started".

Please let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is
unclear in my post, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will be glad
to help. Thank you for your efforts and time.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "AJR" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:41:07 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Just a hunch here - The type of Read/Writes (sequential versus
| non-sequential) to the HD is one of the factors that determine use of the
| ReadyBoost device - Superfetch prefers the HD dor sequential stuff and
the
| ReadyBoost device for non-sequential.
|
| It may be that with an external device attached Superfetch "hides" the
| ache - and utilizes it when a device is not attached. Time related to
type
| of HD action?
|

| | > Two weeks ago I reloaded Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on a Dell Latitude
D620.
| > The only significant change in the system is that I enabled BitLocker
| > encryption.
| >
| > Before reloading the OS I was using ReadyBoost on a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer
| > Titanium. Since the reload I've noticed that the ReadyBoost.sfcache
file
| > will disappear after a while. The time between enabling ReadyBoost and
the
| > cache file disappearing hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it's almost
| > immediate earlier today it took an hour.
| >
| > As far as troubleshooting goes:
| > - tried switching USB ports
| > - disabled RB, rebooted, and re-enabled
| > - full-format and chkdsk of the Cruzer
| >
| > So far nothing. As I'm typing this out I realize that I haven't tried a
| > different flash drive and will here shortly.
| >
| > But has anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas on a cause?

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting information.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "AJR" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:41:07 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Just a hunch here - The type of Read/Writes (sequential versus
| non-sequential) to the HD is one of the factors that determine use of the
| ReadyBoost device - Superfetch prefers the HD dor sequential stuff and
the
| ReadyBoost device for non-sequential.
|
| It may be that with an external device attached Superfetch "hides" the
| ache - and utilizes it when a device is not attached. Time related to
type
| of HD action?
|

| | > Two weeks ago I reloaded Vista Ultimate (32-bit) on a Dell Latitude
D620.
| > The only significant change in the system is that I enabled BitLocker
| > encryption.
| >
| > Before reloading the OS I was using ReadyBoost on a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer
| > Titanium. Since the reload I've noticed that the ReadyBoost.sfcache
file
| > will disappear after a while. The time between enabling ReadyBoost and
the
| > cache file disappearing hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it's almost
| > immediate earlier today it took an hour.
| >
| > As far as troubleshooting goes:
| > - tried switching USB ports
| > - disabled RB, rebooted, and re-enabled
| > - full-format and chkdsk of the Cruzer
| >
| > So far nothing. As I'm typing this out I realize that I haven't tried a
| > different flash drive and will here shortly.
| >
| > But has anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas on a cause?

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Hello,

I am just writing to see if you have had the opportunity to try the
troubleshooting steps. If you have any questions with the previous
information I've provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support

> [...]
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "AJR" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| | Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:41:07 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| |
| | Just a hunch here - The type of Read/Writes (sequential versus
| | non-sequential) to the HD is one of the factors that determine use of
the
| | ReadyBoost device - Superfetch prefers the HD dor sequential stuff
and
| the
| | ReadyBoost device for non-sequential.
| |
| | It may be that with an external device attached Superfetch "hides" the
| | ache - and utilizes it when a device is not attached. Time related to
| |
| |
| D620.
| | > The only significant change in the system is that I enabled BitLocker
| | > encryption.
| | >
| | > Before reloading the OS I was using ReadyBoost on a 1GB SanDisk
Cruzer
| | > Titanium. Since the reload I've noticed that the ReadyBoost.sfcache
| file
| | > will disappear after a while. The time between enabling ReadyBoost
and
| the
| | > cache file disappearing hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it's almost
| | > immediate earlier today it took an hour.
| | >
| | > As far as troubleshooting goes:
| | > - tried switching USB ports
| | > - disabled RB, rebooted, and re-enabled
| | > - full-format and chkdsk of the Cruzer
| | >
| | > So far nothing. As I'm typing this out I realize that I haven't tried
| | > different flash drive and will here shortly.
| | >
| | > But has anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas on a cause?
| |
| |
| |

KeepSloanWeird

Sorry, went out of town for the Memorial Day weekend and just now getting
caught up.

I haven't tried the troubleshooting step that you recommended yet, and
thanks for the response! The issue is beginning to look resolved though.
Both Friday and yesterday I noticed that the I/O activity to the flash drive
was fairly steady throughout the day. I'd check periodically and the cache
file would be there.

I have a feeling that I may have been making the issue worse last week by
constantly checking the drive, disabling and re-enabling ReadyBoost,
formatting the flash drive, etc.

I will keep an eye on it and if the cache file starts randomly disappearing
again I'll re-post after I've added your troubleshooting steps. I haven't
taken the time to research on TechNet, but are there any good articles that
discuss the ReadyBoost service and behavior in detail?

-Sloan

Adams Qu said:
> [...]

rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "AJR" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| | Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 17:41:07 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| |
| | Just a hunch here - The type of Read/Writes (sequential versus
| | non-sequential) to the HD is one of the factors that determine use of
the
| | ReadyBoost device - Superfetch prefers the HD dor sequential stuff
and
| the
| | ReadyBoost device for non-sequential.
| |
| | It may be that with an external device attached Superfetch "hides" the
| | ache - and utilizes it when a device is not attached. Time related
| |
| |
| D620.
| | > The only significant change in the system is that I enabled
BitLocker
| | > encryption.
| | >
| | > Before reloading the OS I was using ReadyBoost on a 1GB SanDisk
Cruzer
| | > Titanium. Since the reload I've noticed that the ReadyBoost.sfcache
| file
| | > will disappear after a while. The time between enabling ReadyBoost
and
| the
| | > cache file disappearing hasn't been consistent. Sometimes it's
almost
| | > immediate earlier today it took an hour.
| | >
| | > As far as troubleshooting goes:
| | > - tried switching USB ports
| | > - disabled RB, rebooted, and re-enabled
| | > - full-format and chkdsk of the Cruzer
| | >
| | > So far nothing. As I'm typing this out I realize that I haven't
tried
| | > different flash drive and will here shortly.
| | >
| | > But has anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas on a cause?
| |
| |
| |

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Sloan,

Thank you for posting here.

I understand that such behavior does not re-occur yet and you are currently
monitoring this problem. Thank you for your cooperation.

At the same time, I also would like to share with you the following
resource regarding ReadyBoost

Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/03/VistaKernel/

ReadyBoost Q&A
http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx

Windows ReadyBoost
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/read
yboost.mspx

Windows Vista Blog: Windows ReadyBoost
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/20/windows-re
adyboost.aspx

Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is any update on our issue.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "KeepSloanWeird" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:01:02 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Sorry, went out of town for the Memorial Day weekend and just now getting
| caught up.
|
| I haven't tried the troubleshooting step that you recommended yet, and
| thanks for the response! The issue is beginning to look resolved though.
| Both Friday and yesterday I noticed that the I/O activity to the flash
drive
| was fairly steady throughout the day. I'd check periodically and the
cache
| file would be there.
|
| I have a feeling that I may have been making the issue worse last week by
| constantly checking the drive, disabling and re-enabling ReadyBoost,
| formatting the flash drive, etc.
|
| I will keep an eye on it and if the cache file starts randomly
disappearing
| again I'll re-post after I've added your troubleshooting steps. I
haven't
| taken the time to research on TechNet, but are there any good articles
that
| discuss the ReadyBoost service and behavior in detail?
|
| -Sloan
|
| | > Hello,
| >
| > I am just writing to see if you have had the opportunity to try the
| > troubleshooting steps. If you have any questions with the previous
| > information I've provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.
| >
| > I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
| > Microsoft Online Support
| >
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Adams Qu [MSFT])
| > | Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:04:43 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| > | From the problem description of the post you submitted, my
understanding
| > | is: the ReadyBoost.sfcache file in the SanDisk Cruzer Titanium will
| > | disappear by itself. If I have misunderstood about your concern, feel
| > free
| > | to let me know.
| > |
| > | Based on my experience, this behavior may occur when the ReadyBoost
| > service
| > | is unexpectedly stopped. In order to avoid the software conflict, I
| > suggest
| > | we test the issue in the Clean Boot environment. Please refer to the
| > | following steps:
| > |
| > | Test the issue in the Clean Boot environment
| > | ===================================
| > | Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting.
| > This
| > | method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading
| > program
| > | or service. Please perform the following steps:
| > | 1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in
| > the
| > | Start Search box, and then press Enter.
| > |
| > | Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control
| > (UAC)
| > | window.
| > |
| > | 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
box
| > | and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
| > | 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
| > |
| > | Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility"
| > window
| > | appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the
System
| > | Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
| > |
| > | After that, please check if the ReadyBoost.sfcache file will still
| > | disappear by its own. However, if the ReadyBoost.sfcache file still
| > | disappear, I suggest we manually verify if the ReadyBoost service is
| > | stopped at that point. Please refer to the following steps:
| > |
| > | Manually verify the ReadyBoost service
| > | ==================================
| > | 1. Click Start, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the
| > Start
| > | search bar and then press Enter.
| > | 2. Double click the service "ReadyBoost".
| > | 3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System
| > account"
| > | is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is
| > | unchecked.
| > | 4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware
| > Profile.
| > | If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
| > | 5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is
| > "Automatic"
| > | and then check if the Service is currently "started".
| > |
| > | Please let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If
anything
| > is
| > | unclear in my post, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will be
| > glad
| > | to help. Thank you for your efforts and time.
| > |
| > | Have a nice day!
| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > |
| > | Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > | =====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | =====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------
| > the
| > and
| > | the
| > | |
| > | type
| > | |
| > | |
Latitude
| > | D620.
| > BitLocker

| > Cruzer
ReadyBoost.sfcache
| > | file
| > and
| > | the
| > almost

| > tried

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Adams Qu [MSFT]

Dear Sloan,

I just want to say hi and check if there is anything further I can do for
you. If there is, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Adams Qu [MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 11:37:18 GMT
| Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
|
| Dear Sloan,
|
| Thank you for posting here.
|
| I understand that such behavior does not re-occur yet and you are
currently
| monitoring this problem. Thank you for your cooperation.
|
| At the same time, I also would like to share with you the following
| resource regarding ReadyBoost
|
| Inside the Windows Vista Kernel: Part 2
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/03/VistaKernel/
|
| ReadyBoost Q&A
| http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx
|
| Windows ReadyBoost

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/read
| yboost.mspx
|
| Windows Vista Blog: Windows ReadyBoost

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/20/windows-re
| adyboost.aspx
|
| Please don't hesitate to contact me if there is any update on our issue.
|
| Have a nice day!
|
| Best regards,
|
| Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
| Microsoft Online Support
|
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "KeepSloanWeird" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: ReadyBoost.sfcache disapears from flash drive
| | Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:01:02 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
| |
| | Sorry, went out of town for the Memorial Day weekend and just now
getting
| | caught up.
| |
| | I haven't tried the troubleshooting step that you recommended yet, and
| | thanks for the response! The issue is beginning to look resolved
though.
| | Both Friday and yesterday I noticed that the I/O activity to the flash
| drive
| | was fairly steady throughout the day. I'd check periodically and the
| cache
| | file would be there.
| |
| | I have a feeling that I may have been making the issue worse last week
by
| | constantly checking the drive, disabling and re-enabling ReadyBoost,
| | formatting the flash drive, etc.
| |
| | I will keep an eye on it and if the cache file starts randomly
| disappearing
| | again I'll re-post after I've added your troubleshooting steps. I
| haven't
| | taken the time to research on TechNet, but are there any good articles
| that
| | discuss the ReadyBoost service and behavior in detail?
| |
| | -Sloan
| |

| | > I am just writing to see if you have had the opportunity to try the
| | > troubleshooting steps. If you have any questions with the previous
| | > information I've provided, please don't hesitate to let me know.
| | >
| | > I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.
| | >
| | > Have a nice day!
| | >
| | > Best regards,
| | >
| | > Adams Qu, MCSE 2000, MCDBA
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > =====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > =====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.
| | >

| | > --------------------
| understanding
| | > free
| | > |
| | > service
| | > suggest
| | > |
| | > This
| | > program
in
| | > the
| | > |
| | > (UAC)
| | > |
Services"
| box
| | > |
| | > window
| System
| | > |
| | > |
| | > Start
| | > account"
| | > Profile.
| | > "Automatic"
| | > |
| anything
| | > is
| | > glad
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| so
| | > rights.
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > | |
| of
| | > the
| | > and
| | > | |
| the
| related
| | > | |
| | > | |
| Latitude
| | > BitLocker

| | > Cruzer
| ReadyBoost.sfcache
ReadyBoost
| | > and
| | > almost

| | > tried

| | > | |
| | > | |
| | > | |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

I am running Vista Home Premium. Just purchased a "ScanDisk Cruzer Micro USB
Flash Drive" 4 Gb, and installed it in a USB port. Setup for Readyboost and
it wrote a file to the drive called "Readyboost", 3.70 GB. Seems to work fine
but when I leave the PC on for a long time idle and come back the drive seems
to have disapeared. I go into "Computer" and its not there. I look in "Disk
Management" and its gone. Right now I have checked and I see it in both. It
apears that the USB Flash Drive disconnects from the PC. I will try the with
the "services.msc" and see if it is still running, next time it happens.
Fred

I have been having the same problem with my ReadyBoost USB drive disapearing
from "Computer" and from "Disk Management" after the PC had been Idle for
several hours. I noticed that several others who had the same problem were
using a USB ScanDisk Drive. This drive has a program on it called U3 which
boots up as a 2nd CD drive with the U3 program on it. I went to the U3 web
site: www.u3.com, and this is the info to remove the U3 program and format
the drive. after format you have an empty drive with one partistion not two.
This is the info from U3:
" How do I uninstall U3 from my flash drive
Most U3 smart drives come with an uninstall utility that converts the U3
smart drive into a regular USB flash drive. This utility can be accessed from
the U3 Launchpad. Open the U3 Launchpad and click on Settings, then select U3
Launchpad Settings and click on the Uninstall tab. Some devices have a link
to the Uninstall utility under Help and Support."

This seem to fix my problem. Get rid of U3 and it works great.
Fred