ReadyBoost monitoring via Performance Monitor, Counter Missing?

Joseph N. Stackhouse

I've seen many tutorials on monitoring ready boost in Vista to see if its
performing correctly, however I seem to be missing the counters in
Performance Monitor to monitor it?
How do I add them, are they Windows 7 only? Seems they aren't installed on
my system?

I tried the tutorial at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial136.html
and this is how I noticed I am missing these counters.

I also tried a program created to monitor it, but it errors out (probably
because it uses the same performance counters I am missing?)
Found it at: http://area-71.net/rbmon/

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

Joseph N. Stackhouse

I didn't ask for you to tell me how to turn it off, obviously I like the
performance boost.
I have 4GB of ram and 4GB of ReadyBoost on a 300x patriot drive, works like
a champ!

Boot time is noticeably faster and so is launching large apps such as
Photoshop, Visual Studio, etc.

"Stan Starinski" wrote in message

Persoanlly, I've disabled this thing as soon as analyzed its functionality.
Furthermore, I've read OTHER PEOPLE who also expalined why it makes sense to
disable.
It's one of the "niceties" of Vista you can live without, and it strongly
depends on the perforamnce of flashmemroy device.

Those from Patriot Memory or Corsair are the best.
Those from cheap taiwanese makers - well, they're OK but but not like the
above. They're somehwat cheaper.

Trust me, Vista without "ReadyBoost" is fine - and disabling this service in
Services.msc only adds to stability, and fewer services --> faster, leaner
machine in general (not always but generally fewer is better).

Joseph N. Stackhouse

I've done this and there are many counters, but none to do with ReadyBoost,
I think they are missing somehow on my system.. Wonder how to reinstall them

"Dave-UK" wrote in message

Joseph N. Stackhouse said:
I've seen many tutorials on monitoring ready boost in Vista to see if its
performing correctly, however I seem to be missing the counters in
Performance Monitor to monitor it?
How do I add them, are they Windows 7 only? Seems they aren't installed
on my system?

I tried the tutorial at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial136.html
and this is how I noticed I am missing these counters.

I also tried a program created to monitor it, but it errors out (probably
because it uses the same performance counters I am missing?)
Found it at: http://area-71.net/rbmon/

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

You right-click on the performance graph and ' Add counters'.