Read DOS under XP

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 CMD Promt' started by Csaba Gabor, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. Csaba Gabor

    Csaba Gabor Guest

    I know this question has been asked in the past,
    but I can't seem to find a consistant answer:

    I'd like to do a firmware update of a DVD Drive I have,
    and the instructions say it "requires Real DOS, a DOS
    box under Windows is not suitable".

    I have a vanilla laptop that came preinstalled with
    Win XP Pro (on the c: drive) when I originally bought
    it about 4 years ago. I've read on the web that I might
    be able to use command.com (as opposed to cmd.exe).
    However, typing ver at both of those gives me:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    which does not give me the warm fuzzies.

    A second possibility is to insert a blank floppy
    into the a: drive, open up My Computer, right
    click on the a: drive, select Format, and then
    click the checkbox that says
    Create an MS-DOS startup disk
    and afterwards to copy the firmware updating programs
    to the floppy.

    A third possibility that I read about (for example, at:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...p.general/browse_frm/thread/74c78161cc5088cd/
    )
    is to go to
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    and make a floppy drive that will boot into DOS.
    But which of the many choices should I select?
    The first DOS 6.22 ?

    Any pointers on which option I should go for?
    Thanks for any clarification,
    Csaba Gabor from Vienna

    Csaba Gabor, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Re: Read (Real?) DOS under XP

    "Csaba Gabor" <> wrote in message
    >I know this question has been asked in the past,
    > but I can't seem to find a consistant answer:
    >
    > I'd like to do a firmware update of a DVD Drive I have,
    > and the instructions say it "requires Real DOS, a DOS
    > box under Windows is not suitable".
    >
    > I have a vanilla laptop that came preinstalled with
    > Win XP Pro (on the c: drive) when I originally bought
    > it about 4 years ago. I've read on the web that I might
    > be able to use command.com (as opposed to cmd.exe).
    > However, typing ver at both of those gives me:
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > which does not give me the warm fuzzies.
    >
    > A second possibility is to insert a blank floppy
    > into the a: drive, open up My Computer, right
    > click on the a: drive, select Format, and then
    > click the checkbox that says
    > Create an MS-DOS startup disk
    > and afterwards to copy the firmware updating programs
    > to the floppy.
    >
    > A third possibility that I read about (for example, at:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/micr...p.general/browse_frm/thread/74c78161cc5088cd/
    > )
    > is to go to
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    > and make a floppy drive that will boot into DOS.
    > But which of the many choices should I select?
    > The first DOS 6.22 ?
    >
    > Any pointers on which option I should go for?
    > Thanks for any clarification,
    > Csaba Gabor from Vienna

    Get a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. It witl boot your PC into
    "real" ("read"?) DOS. By the way, since you run WinXP, it would be best to
    post your next question in a WinXP newsgroup.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Sep 10, 2008

  3. Csaba Gabor

    foxidrive Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:30:26 -0700 (PDT), Csaba Gabor <>
    wrote:

    >is to go to
    >http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    >and make a floppy drive that will boot into DOS.
    >But which of the many choices should I select?
    >The first DOS 6.22 ?

    Yes. Best have an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) powering the
    PC/drive, to be safe. A power glitch/fault in the middle of a flash will
    give the drive a negative coefficient of wellness. ;-)

    You can also create a bootable USB stick with MSDOS on it, if there is no
    floppy drive on modern machines.

    foxidrive, Sep 10, 2008