Re: Multiple Instances of Excel opening

D

Dave Peterson

Are you sure that they're two instances of excel. In xl2k and higher, you can
set an option to show each window/workbook as a separate icon on your taskbar.

Tools|options|view|windows in taskbar.

But if it really is two separate instances, one of these sometimes work:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
factory defaults.

An alternative might be to do:
Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

FBr

Reaction score
multiple instances

Hi

I read all that stuff below and tried it but yet couldn't resolve the problem. I even contacted Microsoft and got remote assistance but that guy also couldn't solve my problem, it even looked like that was the first time he was confronted with it.

Here's the deal: I found out after I installed Office 2007 and kept 2003 that now every double click from Explorer on an Excel workbook opens that clicked workbook in a new instance. The problem is that I can't any longer copy and paste special between the instances. The standard 'paste special' menu which allows to paste only formulas, comments, values, formats, etc. is replaced by the paste special menu that is used in Word.

In order to have two or more Excel workbooks be opened in the same instance I now need to drag the new workbook to be opened onto the excel field in the taskbar, wait for excel to open and release it there. I know for sure that before I installed Office 2003 Excel 2003 worked as it should. I also remember that the first time that I installed Office 2007 on top of 2003 I had the same problem but by applying norereg and choosing the default program to open Excel files I could get Excel 2003 work as it should. However my computer crashed just one day after I had succeeded and I had to re-install the factory state. Since then I couldn't make Excel 2003 work correctly again. I tried the same things I had done before but I guess it's got somethig to do with the right sequence.

Excel 2007 does in fact open a new instance for each double click on an excel workbook from Explorer. However the copy and paste special between instances works perfectly in Excel 2007.

Maybe one of you gurus knows the trick?

cheers
FRANZ

Are you sure that they're two instances of excel. In xl2k and higher, you can
set an option to show each window/workbook as a separate icon on your taskbar.

Tools|options|view|windows in taskbar.

But if it really is two separate instances, one of these sometimes work:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the [color=red ! important][color=red ! important]windows
[color=red ! important]registry[/color][/color] to excel's
factory defaults.

An alternative might be to do:
Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other [color=red ! important][color=red ! important]applications[/color][/color] (uncheck it)

Carolyn wrote:[/color]
>
> When I open 2 Excel spreadsheets a new instance of Excel
> opens. How do I configure Excel to open multiple Excel
> Documents in one instance of Excel?

Reaction score
Any resolution to this issue???

I have this same issue after installing Excel 2007 over Office 2003. Help!

Reaction score
I think we have fixed it, but now we have a crazy little quirk...

To fix it...
we went to folder opptions
selected .XLS file type
restored it
selected advanced
checked the box for "browse in same window"
and edited each of the Actions to reference the excel.exe file in the Office 11 folder (to ensure that files open in Excel 2003 instead of Excel 2007)
and it all works except...

now when we try to open a file named (example): C;\Documents and Settings\Desktop\Acrain\My Favorite Spreadsheet.xls...

Excel 2003 opens, and tells us it is unable to find the file Documents.xls
then same message for and.xls
same for Settings.xls
same for Favorite.xls
same for Spreadsheet.xls

it seems to be trying to open a file with each of the individual words of the path as the file names with the pronounced exception of the first word of the filename itself - My.xls

so it does not look for My.xls

then it opens the file like its supposed to
it then opens subsequent files just fine - without the errors

crazy quirk - any thoughts?

Last edited:

Ask a Question