RDPDD.dll failed to load

H

H. Williams

When I try to connect to my office XP computer from home through a VPN using
Remote Desktop Connection nothing happens after I click connect.
The office computer log shows the following error:
\SystemRoot\System32\RDPDD.dll failed to load

Anyone know why?

Reaction score
Try turn off Hardware acceleration for display adapter

We just got a batch of Dell OptiPlex 755 computers a couple of weeks ago. I dropped our standard XP + SP2 image into them and put them into production. All's well until yesterday a user called me asking why he couldn't connect through RDP.​

I started investigating and found out that none of these 755s can load RDPDD.DLL. Using the same OS image on another computer model, RDP works fine, no problem at all, so the problem must be model-specific.​

The display adapter that comes with these 755s is RADEON HD 2400 XT, which none of our other computer models use. After trying a few tricks, I found the solution:​

Display Properties --> Settings --> Advanced --> Troubleshoot, turn off "Hardware acceleration", and off you go.​

I know that the solution would apply to similar cases, regardless of the brand of your computer or display adapter, but I do hope that the guys at ATI + Dell could come up with an updated driver soon.​

Regards, Wei​

Reaction score
Optiplex 755 RDPDD.DLL fix

Many thanks for the fix. I did not realize this was specific to the 755's. I followed your instructions and it worked beautifully. Thanks again.

-JR-

Ask a Question