Windows XP .RAR files question

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I want to take a load of files away with me at christmas and transfer them to another pc . One set of files is 5.8Gb , can I compress them with WIN RAR or WIN ZIP and will they then be of a smaller size so that I can fit them on to a single dvd . I've got about 30GB of files in total so the smaller I can make them the better .
I've only ever used Win Rar or Win Zip to extract files so I'm a complete newbie to this . :blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for that . I tried to compress a file once but it ended up the same size as the original . If you use TugZip or WinRar then the file should be smaller than the original shouldn't it ????? :confused:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it all depends on the type of file you are compressing, give KGB Archiver a go it's supposed to be better than everything else but needs a powerful computer to run it

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
They are mainly .avi files . Thought all these zippy progs were suposed to squash down to 10% of the original ???????? Any on-line guides I can read up ??

thanks guys .

:confused:

Reaction score
winrar wont make a difference mate really, well nothing significant.

You will need a professional achiving program if you want really high compression.

Remember the higher the compression the more volatile the archive. It may well be corrupted if you try too high

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Or just use one dual layer DVD for the 5.8Gb file and six or seven regular DVD's for the rest.

Wassup wid dat? :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Or just use one dual layer DVD for the 5.8Gb file and six or seven regular DVD's for the rest.

Wassup wid dat? :eek:

Cost. I'm a tight tyke
laughingsmiley.gif
have you seen the price of dual layer dvd's
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
winrar wont make a difference mate really, well nothing significant.

You will need a professional achiving program if you want really high compression.

Remember the higher the compression the more volatile the archive. It may well be corrupted if you try too high

Just had a look at some Win Rar files . .rar 24.8 kb and extracted 28.6 similar story with other .rar files so why did they bother ??????? It makes no sense to me .
I found a spare half hour to read the help files and am giving the Win RAR a go . A 4.40Gb file but its going to take 2 hours I'll see what size it is when its done . At this rate I'll have to take floppy's option and spend money on a dual layer dvd :eek:

Thanks again folk .

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Cost. I'm a tight tyke
laughingsmiley.gif
have you seen the price of dual layer dvd's
laughingsmiley.gif

Yep, they're about a quid each.

It's the safest way, as mentioned previously, the tighter the compression the more chance of corruption.

One thing I've learnt in this life is that anything material worth having comes at a price ;)

Reemind me not to go on a pub crawl with you 'Oh, it's Abarbarian's round. Well well, he's in the karzi again, there's a thing...' :lol:

With all this tightness, you sure you don't actually live a little further north, and wear a kilt perhaps? :D

Ask a Question