Random XP Lockup

Pat D

Subject: Random Lockup
From: "Pat D" <[email protected]>
Sent: 5/18/2004 7:50:36 PM

I have read literally dozens of user comments with
similar problems to mine. My keyboard and mouse lock up
randomely. I am convinced this is a software (windows)
problem because I can stop it if I remove all programs
from my "Startup" menu periodically. In the old DOS
days, this operation was performed on exit of a program
with what was called "House Cleaning". This however does
not seem to be happening with Windows XP.

For some reason, I cannot get a response from Microsoft
except "Contact your equipment manufacturer". If one
reads the multiple comments from users with multiple
different machines, Windows XP seems to be the ONLY
common denominator. My System profile is :- 2.4 Gig
Intel Celeron Processor. 256MB DDR SDRAM. 80 hard
drive.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to automatically stop
programs from being stored in the "Start" menu, please
let me know.
-Pat-

..

Kent W. England [MVP]

[...]

.
You are probably practicing unsafe web surfing and picking up malware
that installs itself in the Run key. Download Spybot Search and Destroy,
run it and see if it finds any malware.

Rocket J. Squirrel

"If anyone has a suggestion on how to automatically stop programs from being
stored in the "Start" menu, please let me know."

1. Remove all viruses, adware and spyware.
Symantec Online Virus and Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

Ad-aware by Lavasoft
www.lavasoftusa.com

2. Go through each program's menus and look for a setting that starts the
program with Windows - turn off that setting.

3. Contact the technical support groups for the offending programs.

"Protect Your PC"

Rocky