Random rebooting of PC :-/

Reaction score
Situation:
I get the shut down problem during one of three situations. First is when I am on it for 20-30 mins, second is when I am playing a game (any game from World of Warcraft to Age of Empires) or whenever I insert an installation disk or even try and install a program now.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can shed some light on how to go about correcting the problem I have done a few things already and I have yet to find the way of correction. Thank you so much to anyone willing to help!

Error:

C:\DOCUME~1\"insert user name here"\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0cad.dir00\Mini041107-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\"insert user name here"\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0cad.dir00\sysdata.xml

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 0000000D BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

system specs are:

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2133 MHz (8 x 267) 2600+
Motherboard Name Biostar M7VIG (Pro) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 4 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8378 UniChrome KM400
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (12/24/04)

Display
Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9200 SERIES (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 (RV280)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (F6XU6A127310U)
Monitor is a 19" flat panel wide screen running at 85 hertz

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Sound Blaster Audigy [NoDB]

Storage
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD1200AB-00DBA0
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

Partitions
C: (FAT32) 114442 MB (100652 MB free)

I honestly think it has something to do with the processor but I just want a second more professional opinion, hopefully someone can shed a little light on the situation...

Regards, SL33P3R

Reaction score
Re:computer Reboots When Running Certain Programs

I Once Ran An Ibm That Was Doing Exactly The Same Thing.no One Ever Solved The Problem,however After We Ran The Motherboard We Found It Was Running An Unregistered Bios.and The Way It Was Acting We All Felt It Was A Bit To Risky To Update The Bios As It Might Shut Down In The Middle Of It.i've Still Got This Old Computer.now After Solving Similar Problems In Other Machines I Have Found That Disabling (power Management)in The System Device List Has Solved This Problem.then It May Be Safe To Update The Bios And Install The Proper Power Management Drivers For Your Machine.

Reaction score
So your thinking it is a BIOS problem? I was really leaning towards Processor but I hadn't thought about the BIOS really primarily because I haven't really done much with BIOS's and I don't know if I feel comfortable messing with mine would anyone know of a site that gives good step by step instructions on upgrading your BIOS?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You'll need to upload the first minidump file so that we can see the error causing the problem, it's probably either a driver problem or a bad memory stick. The first thing I'd do is update your motherboard and graphics card drivers:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M7VIG (4 in 1 VIA drivers)
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html (9200 drivers)

You may need to to the installs in safe mode if you are having problems running things.

Thanks for providing the system information, it really helps :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The initial Bug error is pointing to a memory problem ... how many sticks of ram do you have & what size are they, are they all from the same source/supplier ?

Do as Ian suggested also as it could be a driver problem with the VIA chipset.

Should not be related, but hard drives can cause some wonderful errors, so can you tell me why you are using FAT32 on your HD and not NTFS ?

Welcome to the Forums. ;)

:user:

Ask a Question