RAID install on an existing array using RC1 (32+64)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by tcpaulh, Sep 3, 2006.

  1. tcpaulh

    tcpaulh Guest

    Here's an odd one. I've downloaded the latest RC1 nforce drivers and tried
    installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista RC1 (clean install) but they
    show the same problem on my 4*250GB SATA RAID0 array. Motherboard is a DFI
    SLI-D.

    Before and after using 'Load Driver' during setup it just shows only 3 of
    the 4 drives separately. The array currently has XP Pro on it as well as a
    data partition, is shown as healthy and boots fine but vista only sees 3 of
    the 4 drives.

    It doesn't look like a driver issue as for some reason during install it
    shows Disk 0,1 and 3 but doesn't show disk 2 at all. I know that the RC1
    drivers are not happy running on a motherboard with mixed SATA/IDE raid
    function but these problems present before selecting a RAID driver.

    I'm confused as the 4 disk array boots fine into Windows XP which is
    currently installed.

    I've done some more troubleshooting :-

    1. ran chkdsk /f on the array (took forever) - no problems
    2. Ran the Samsung HUTIL on each (SP2504C) drive - no problems
    3. Updated the BIOS on each drive
    4. Reset the (latest) motherboard BIOS
    5. Reflashed with older motherboard BIOS - same result

    Vista RC1 5600 (both 32 and 64bit) still only show three drives both before
    and after choosing to 'Load Driver'.

    Has anyone had success with a RAID install on an existing array using RC1?

    tcpaulh, Sep 3, 2006

  2. tcpaulh:
    If you used partitioning software like Partition Magic 8, verify
    that disk 2 isn't hidden. I don't have RC1 yet but I have various version up
    to PRC1 installed on Nvidia raid 1. If you're using a 2 disk array what is
    showing would be proper because a raid array would only show up as one drive
    during installation and in disk management. A habit that I developed during
    testing x64 was to label each partition so that there would be less
    confusion during installation and the wrong partition used. I don't know if
    raid 0 is supported but I know that mixed PATA (IDE) & SATA won't be
    recognized.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 4, 2006

  3. tcpaulh

    RonK Guest

    You may have the wrong drivers on the floppy.
    Make sure they are the sataraid drivers.

    For the x86 Vista - The floppy should have these files on it:

    disk1
    nvatabus.sys
    nvraid.sys
    txtsetup.oem
    idecoi.dll
    nvraid.inf
    nvraidco.dll

    RonK, Sep 4, 2006
  4. tcpaulh

    tcpaulh Guest

    Thanks for the replies. It's not a driver issue as only 3 of the four disks
    are shown before attempting to load a driver. None of the disks are hidden.
    The entire 4 disk array works perfectly under XP.

    I'm now wondering if this is an RC1 bug. If anyone has been able to install
    RC1 to an existing RAID array then it might shed some light on it.

    tcpaulh, Sep 4, 2006
  5. tcpaulh:
    I found a link about Nvidia raid in a posting from June, 2006 which
    was just updated.
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vis...299.html?sid=a1c81053a03f1d8105500dfd10ae7215
    gives some answers but isn't specific about raid 0 or raid 1. I wish that I
    had an answer about raid 0 but I've never used it and raid 1 works. I'll
    post again if I can find any other information.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 4, 2006
  6. tcpaulh

    tcpaulh Guest

    I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks

    tcpaulh, Sep 4, 2006
  7. tcpaulh

    PaulH Guest

    Well that worked. I'm now posting from Windows Mail (which doesn't support
    hotmail accounts - a minor niggle). in RC1 32bit. Thanks for all the help.

    It seems that at least for me that installing RC1 on an existing nforce4
    RAID array from boot off the DVD is a no go. Not good news for those
    building their own rig who dont have a copy of XP to use as a springboard
    into Vista. The install took a very long time (over 1.5 hours) although I
    turned off my AV. Most of the time was spent copying files. On the plus
    side, all my devices so far (starting with a minimal set) were recognised
    and configured automatically with the slight caveat that Microsoft Update
    wanted to install a USB Root Hub driver although it was already working fine
    and the new driver failed to load.

    PaulH, Sep 4, 2006
  8. Paul:
    Thank you for the feedback about raid 0 working. I knew that raid 1
    worked but didn't know if raid 0 was supported.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Sep 5, 2006