Question for Yves or John I

I have been reading some of your past posts about photos and best ways to
save them. I have a Canon A70 digital camera. I have it set to take the next
to best quality pictures. It seems when I look at the pictures on the
computer they are about 250 to 300 dpi. Can you maybe shed some light on what
I may be doing incorrectly. I mostly use the scanner and camera wizard to
move the pictures from the camera to the computer. Would it be better to use
a different program. Like the one that came with camera or Picture It 10 ?
Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else with suggestion all help would be
appreicated.

John Inzer

walt said:
I have been reading some of your past posts about photos
and best ways to save them. I have a Canon A70 digital
camera. I have it set to take the next to best quality
pictures. It seems when I look at the pictures on the
computer they are about 250 to 300 dpi. Can you maybe
shed some light on what I may be doing incorrectly. I
mostly use the scanner and camera wizard to move the
pictures from the camera to the computer. Would it be
better to use a different program. Like the one that came
with camera or Picture It 10 ? Any help would be
appreciated. Anyone else with suggestion all help would
be appreicated.
=================================
Honestly Walt......I'm not sure what the
question is....anyway I'll offer some ideas.

The Canon A70 is a 3.2 MP camera and I
would suggest that you use the best quality
settings. The full size images should be
2048 x 1536 Pixels. If you require something
smaller for e-mail...use the Windows XP
PowerToy Image Resizer. And BTW...all the
Canon images I've seen were 180DPI.

I think your download method is a matter of
choice. My preferred way to download images
is to go to...My Computer / Click on the icon
for the card reader and copy/paste the image
folder to my desktop. I always burn a copy of
my original / unedited files to a CD-R and then
I proceed to do any required editing or resizing.
If something goes wrong I always have my
originals for backup.

There are some A70 samples at the following
link...maybe they would be useful in comparing.
http://tinyurl.com/657pw

If I have totally missed the boat...please
rephrase the question.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

I guess what I mean is, when I download the pictures they do not seem to be
coming in at the higher DPI. I will try your method and see if it improves. I
do use the powerToy resizer for email. I am asking this question because I
had to send some pictures for publishing in our horse journal mag. The editor
said they should be at least 300dpi When I looked at some of them they were
less then that. That is why I thought I was downloading them incorretly to
the computer. I then burn them to a CD. I will reset my camera to the highest
setting and see. Just got Picture It 10 on my new computer. Have not had a
chance to see how that works for editing. Thanks for your continued help

John Inzer

walt said:
I guess what I mean is, when I download the pictures they
do not seem to be coming in at the higher DPI. I will try
your method and see if it improves. I do use the powerToy
resizer for email. I am asking this question because I
had to send some pictures for publishing in our horse
journal mag. The editor said they should be at least
300dpi When I looked at some of them they were less then
that. That is why I thought I was downloading them
incorretly to the computer. I then burn them to a CD. I
will reset my camera to the highest setting and see. Just
got Picture It 10 on my new computer. Have not had a
chance to see how that works for editing. Thanks for your
continued help
==============================
As I said...*all* of the Canon images I
have seen were 180DPI. If you right click
an image and from the menu...choose...
Properties / Summary tab / Advanced
button...you can see the DPI.

If your editor requires 300DPI...
open your image file in PI10 and go to...
Format / Resize Image...
Click the Pixel Dimensions radio button
and in the "Resolution" field...enter...
300 / Done. Now you have a 300DPI image
file. And BTW...resizing the image will
not affect the DPI.

BTW...Pixel Dimensions and Dots Per
Inch (DPI) are two different things.

Just wondering why you did not get Digital
Image Pro 10? IMHO...It's well worth the
difference in cost.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

Yves Alarie

The site suggested by John Inzer is excellent to understand what is going on
between dpi and ppi.
I will add a few things.
1. The software you use to download from your memory card is not relevant.
Use what you feel comfortable with. The size of the files on your hard drive
will not change from one software to another when you download (except for
Digital Image 9 and you have 10, so no problem).
2. Use the highest resolution on your camera to get the best quality, you
can always reduce when needed and you need all the pixels you can get when
you want to print.
3. ppi (pixel per inch) is the resolution of your monitor. Most monitors
will display at 72 ppi and some at 96 ppi. Here is what it means.
Suppose your file is 2048 x 1536 pixels.
2048/72 = 28.4 in
1536/72 = 21.3 in
This means that at this resolution you could fill a monitor screen of 28 x
21 in and the picture would look great. Above this size, picture quality
would suffer. In practice, this picture is reduced to fill the display page
size on your monitor and the quality is very high.

Now you want to print this picture. What size print can you make? A good
rule of thumb is 300 dpi for resolution. So with the same picture it
becomes:
2048/300 = 6.8 in
1536/300 = 5.1 in
In practice, you probably can print a larger size, about 1.5 time this size,
and still get a decent print. Higher than this you will see deterioration
(not enough resolution). This is why your magazine is asking for a file of
"at least 300 dpi". If they print at the above size (or smaller) the print
will look excellent. Not knowing in advance the exact size at which they
will print, the "at least 300 dpi" gives them some lee-way to print at a
slightly larger size and still have a good quality print.

Thanks for the info and help.

John Inzer said:
==============================
As I said...*all* of the Canon images I
have seen were 180DPI. If you right click
an image and from the menu...choose...
Properties / Summary tab / Advanced
button...you can see the DPI.

If your editor requires 300DPI...
open your image file in PI10 and go to...
Format / Resize Image...
Click the Pixel Dimensions radio button
and in the "Resolution" field...enter...
300 / Done. Now you have a 300DPI image
file. And BTW...resizing the image will
not affect the DPI.

BTW...Pixel Dimensions and Dots Per
Inch (DPI) are two different things.

Just wondering why you did not get Digital
Image Pro 10? IMHO...It's well worth the
difference in cost.
I didn't buy the Picture IT, it came with the new computer. Do you know if I can upgrade to Pro 10 or suite? 0.> --

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

John Inzer

=====================================
Sorry Walt, I asked the question before I realized
your version of Picture It! was OEM.

There's no way to upgrade to Digital Image Suite 10
or Digital Image Pro 10 unless your computer mfg.
offers some type of deal.

FWIW, there are some rebates available if you
decide to purchase a better version:

Printable rebate form for the following
version 10 programs...Digital Image Suite /
Digital Image Pro / Picture It! Premium
http://tinyurl.com/6aop7

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

Thanks John, you and Yves (and most everyone that ansewers) do a realy great
job helping people out!

Yves Alarie

Now wait a minute John. Generous compliment is one thing, but we need MONEY.
The grandsons need shoes.
We need to get some DONATE system on this newsgroup!
Have a great day.
Yves

John Inzer

Yves said:
Now wait a minute John. Generous compliment is one thing,
but we need MONEY. The grandsons need shoes.
We need to get some DONATE system on this newsgroup!
Have a great day.
Yves
============================
LOL! I guess you're aware that some
MVPs do request donations on their
websites.

Personally I'm just trying to share what
I've learned in the hopes that someone
will help me again when I need it. It's
called...Pay-It-Forward.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

Well, I'll tell you you both are worth your weight in GOLD (as long as you
don't weigh to much LOL). Again thanks for all the help and suggestions. Do
either of you have a website?

John Inzer

walt said:
Well, I'll tell you you both are worth your weight in
GOLD (as long as you don't weigh to much LOL). Again
thanks for all the help and suggestions. Do either of you
have a website?
==================================
Thanks again Walt.

No I don't have a website and I don't
think Yves has one either.

--

John Inzer
Picture It! MVP
return e-mail disabled

Picture It! Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/2po2o

Digital Image Support Center
http://tinyurl.com/3xxqg

Yves Alarie

Well, we are happy to help for free.
I do have a web site: www.yvesalarie.com
However, there is nothing there about XP or photography.
Answering questions keeps us young and we are also happy to get somebody out
of a jam or pass along some info. We also learn and this is the reward.
Happy shooting with your camera.

WOW that is way over my head!

Yves Alarie said:
Well, we are happy to help for free.
I do have a web site: www.yvesalarie.com
However, there is nothing there about XP or photography.
Answering questions keeps us young and we are also happy to get somebody out
of a jam or pass along some info. We also learn and this is the reward.
Happy shooting with your camera.

I have been send pictures to my e mail with my digital camera phone. When I
save the pictures to my computer it saves them in bitmap and I am not able to
edit them. Do you know how I can save these in something else where I am
able to edit them using the picture editor? Or is there a way to edit the
pictures in bitmap? I have tried everything and can't get it to edit for me.
For example I sent a picture this morning and the background is very dark I
need to make it lighter please let me know how to do this!!

Thanks In Advance,
Amy Barry

Yves Alarie

Convert them from bitmap to jpg with a free batch converter software
available here:
www.irfanview.com

You simply open the software, click on File and Batch conversion on the
opening menu.

If you only have a few, open them in Paint and then Save as and select jpg
for the file type.

To avoid bitmap in e-mail, try deleting your Internet Temporary files.

"Amy Barry Need help with pictures" <Amy Barry Need help with