Question about native LCD resolution

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to upgrade an old CTR monitor, but I have a question about the native resolution on LCD/TFT panels.

I am used to the general rule of an increase in screen size being linked to an increase in resolution in order to have on screen elements the same size while real estate i increased.

It seems that 17" panels typically have native resolution of 1280x1024, but that most 19" monitors also have a native resolution of 1280x1024. So if I go for a 19 over a 17 all I get is more screen and the ability to have items larger, as opposed to more screen real estate.

Is it just that 17's have advanced more than 19 (cost) so a higher resolution in a smaller size is possible?

Thanks,

Lein

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Actually, the 'native' res' on a 17" CRT/TFT is usually 1024x768 ... not all manufactures, and or screens are equal. ;)
You can "push" the resolution higher, if the monitor can handle it, and you have the monitor drivers graphics card to allow it. Plug-n-Play, can be misguiding. :D

Refresh rate is also important with CRT monitors ... not so much with TFTs, though I have my V7 @ 75Hz and not 60 as most TFTs default to.

:user:

Ask a Question