Query!

T

tina

Hi Walter.
This newsgroup is for Microsoft Access database software. Someone more knowledgeable may offer you some good feedback here, or recommend another newsgroup or resource to help you. You may want to check back here over the next day or two, probably anyone who's going to answer will do it by then.
If nobody else helps you, here's my two-cents worth: your PC is 5 years old. My guess would be that the power supply (a unit inside the PC) is shot. You can take it to a repair shop; if the computer is fine except for one bad part (power supply or whatever), it may be worth it to just repair it.
Or you may want to consider just replacing it. If you've used your PC mainly for internet access, rather than photos, movies or sophisticated games, then you can probably find a fairly economical new PC to meet your needs. I would recommend that you research the cost of a new computer, so you'll have a clear basis for deciding whether to pay for repairs.
In researching cost, here's a few tips that may be helpful:
1. An Intel Celeron processor is usually cheaper than a Pentium, but should be plenty powerful enough for casual use - internet surfing, email, etc. Likewise, 128MB of RAM should be fine for said casual use. And don't feel you have to get the fastest processor speed available. If you've used your computer for 5 years without upgrading the processor, then you won't need a 3.0GB processor to be happy now! :)
2. If you can use a friend's computer, or a public computer (your local library may offer PC internet access with a library card), suggest you shop and compare computer prices and options online. PC websites (ibm.com, sony.com, dell.com, gateway.com, to name a few) usually provide a lot of information to help you choose a system to suit you - and without a commissioned salesperson pressuring you to buy a fancier computer than you need.
3. But you don't have to buy online; use those sites to educate you on what kind of PC will suit your needs - then you'll be better prepared if you decide to shop for your computer in a store, and you may find a better deal in a store than buying direct from a name-brand manufacturer.
I know it's so frustrating when your computer suddenly stops working one day. Good luck with it!
tina :)

During March 1999, I bought an IBM Aptiva 242 and have never had any trouble with it until I decided to move it into another room recently.
When I set-up the computer in the new location and pressed the power button, nothing happened. I checked the plug thinking maybe the fuse was faulty, but found it to be OK. Can any one advise me or help me to get my computer back to normal as I am an elderly person and sure miss my computer.
Be delighted for assistance.
Many thanks, Walter.

W

waltersharpe

During March 1999, I bought an IBM Aptiva 242 and have never had any trouble with it until I decided to move it into another room recently.
When I set-up the computer in the new location and pressed the power button, nothing happened. I checked the plug thinking maybe the fuse was faulty, but found it to be OK. Can any one advise me or help me to get my computer back to normal as I am an elderly person and sure miss my computer.
Be delighted for assistance.
Many thanks, Walter.

Ask a Question