Putting a link into Word to get to my browser

W. eWatson

Is it possible to put a link like www.google.com, so that I can click on
it to open my browser. I have such a link for a different site, and I
see Ctrl-click appears to be the way to do this. It doesn't work for me
though. I dragged this link in from a web site.

W. eWatson

Is it possible to put a link like www.google.com, so that I can click on
it to open my browser. I have such a link for a different site, and I
see Ctrl-click appears to be the way to do this. It doesn't work for me
though. I dragged this link in from a web site.
A real puzzler I guess. Supposedly it should work, according to another
source. However, they have given no details.

Iceman

In this group W. eWatson wrote in message
Is it possible to put a link like www.google.com, so that I can click
on it to open my browser. I have such a link for a different site,
and I see Ctrl-click appears to be the way to do this. It doesn't
work for me though. I dragged this link in from a web site.

In Word, there are two settings that may be useful to you.

First, at Tools > AutoCorrect Options, on the AutoFormat As You Type tab, in
the section named "Replace as you type", there's a checkbox labelled
"Internet and network and paths with hyperlinks". If this is ticked, then,
whenever you type something that Word interprets as a web address, Word will
automatically turn it into a hyperlink. Let's say that this box is ticked
and you type, say, www.google.com. Word displays your text in the document
www.google.com). And the link will go to www.google.com.

Second, at Insert > Hyperlink you can create a hyperlink explicitly. Here
you can distinguish the text that appears in the document (e.g. "click here
to go to Microsoft's site") and the address to which the link will go (e.g.
www.google.com).

HTH :)

Suzanne S. Barnhill

If a URL is not clickable in Word, select it and click the Hyperlink button
on the Standard toolbar. This will, at best, immediately convert the text to
a hyperlink. At worst, it will open the Hyperlink dialog, where you can
format the link as Iceman suggests.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)